[ SHOWGSD-L ] shoulder...no necks

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kennadale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:30:03 -0800

 The poll of the neck is right behind the ears where the head is attached.
Length of neck does not affect the poll but it certainly does affect
movement. Topic for another discussion?
Carolyn

Paul opines...

No Carolyn...we're poised for a discussion on necks...or should I say lack
of necks.

Balance is the key folks...balance. We need a good length of neck to balance
with the correct topline, back, front and rear. A short neck will allow a
head carriage to be too high...the wither to look too high...and an
incorrect topline based on the lack of balance between  the other 2 factors
I just mentioned.

The correct GSD in motion does not have a "high" head carriage. More of a 45
degree or less angle to the ground. There are many spectacular moving dogs
that almost run level and are NOT incorrect. Their bodies are balanced and
perform as to the requests of the Standard.

Paul