[ SHOWGSD-L ] responses to updating the White GSD

  • From: Pharaohs Revenge <pharaohsrevenge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 18:02:15 -0500

"I have had experience with seeing, owning and breeding GSD's with white
parents. They are lovely dogs but they are not AKC conformation show dogs"

I beg to differ with this statement. You mustn't be familiar with my AKC and
Canadian Champion, Eclipse's Bittersweet Solitude who was from a white sire.
You can see her here. http://eclipsekennels.com/GSD/females/soli.php  Many
judges would disagree that she wasn't an AKC conformation show dog as shown by
her dual titles in both AKC and Canada.

You can also check out this bitch that was from a white sire who was AKC
pointed http://eclipsekennels.com/GSD/ourpast/liltater.php or this AKC pointed
dog from a white sire http://faithfulshepherds.webs.com/major.htm  You might
also want to check out Dex, the No. 2 GSD in UKC last year missing No. 1 by one
point. http://excellencekennels.com/our_boy.html He has a white dam.

Breeding a white to a colored dog has nothing to do with the color but rather
the quality of dog you are breeding. I think the examples above show that.

I'd also beg to differ in regards to white GSDs not winning at shows where they
compete against "colored" GSDs (like they can in UKC). Take Eclipse's Strength
of Atlas. Atlas has been in the UKC Top 10 for GSDs for 8 years including being
number 1 one year. He competes in an area that has a very large entry of GSDs.
There's also been several other whites that have finished in the UKC Top 10 for
GSDs. You can see this page for whites that have received their UKC CH, Grand
CH, and Best in Shows at UKC shows. THis is in the state of MN when we usually
have 20+ GSD entries at our shows with all types of GSDs (whites, German, Am
Showline) http://ugsda.org/ourdogs/conformation.php

Donna Beadle