[ SHOWGSD-L ] remember obedience

  • From: "sally" <dan-ann@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 06:26:53 -0500

I am determined that my grandchildren will be able to walk and brush Our
orphaned calf  2months old now-  200 lbs- when they come in for the summer so
yesterday was the first walking session.  She has had a halter and lead on
before  because she is such a pest they have to tie her up out of the way when
the tractor comes in
Well Missy thought being in the barn yard was great as long as she could just
follow me around but put a little tension on that lead and the brakes came on.-
when 200 lbs says no way I am not moving  you listen-  getting ahead of her and
calling puppy puppy didn't work either.  Pushing from behind worked a little
but then I couldn't control  the direction-  Thought about doing the dog
whisper routine  exercise, training and then love. But exercise was the thing I
was getting not her.--Double handling worked just great as long as my husband
walked ahead with her bottle but he kept mutter what a waste of time

Then I remembered "control the head and you control the dog"  sure enough
shorten that lead , hold her head up and walk - it worked.  Now there was a
sight.  me walking Missy all over the barnyard with the cat following behind-

Next lesson  getting a bath will not kill you - you stand out in the rain all
the time LOL

The kids asked for a puppy to play with - I should have listened

Sally
www.embroiderybysally.org