[ SHOWGSD-L ] rear dew claws

  • From: gsdlady28@xxxxxxx
  • To: Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 00:46:15 -0400

I have had several people repy to this question with something to the effect of
"I have never had them in xx number of years..."  while this is great for you
and I am happy to hear it, it is not really an answer to the question, which is
"Does anyone KNOW the genetics of rear dew claws?" LOL We have only had one
ourselves in 30+ years, but I have a male that has been producing them so I
want to know where the heck they are coming from, for my own info and to pass
along to others who are interested. If anyone has any useful info on them, I
would love to hear it...
So far this is the only info I have found on them:

Because the mode of inheritance is still unclear and seems to behave
differently in certain breeds it is accepted that dewclaws are Dominant
Recessive with Incomplete Penetrance. They are definitely autosomal which means
they can be passed on to either sex.

If I find out anything more conclusive, I will pass it along.

Maggie Marshall
"Geneva's Mom"
Aeval German Shepherds
http://hometown.aol.com/gsdlady28/index.html