[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: re canine flu

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:05:23 -0700 (PDT)

I think that is why it is spearing so fast. The dogs that were shipped around
the USA during the hurricane. There were 1000 that came into Oregon.
Terry
Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx wrote:

In July, I picked this virus up at an inside show in Biloxi MS. All my
dogs were fine prior to that show. 4 days after, I heard several dogs sneezing
in the kennel. Within 2 more days, several literally stopped eating. Some
had a few days of feeling nauseous, others ran high temps (104.1 to 105.7) I
found those with the temps were the most stubborn cases.
The sneezing quickly developed to a "wet" cough, upper respiratory problems
for sure. My vet in Canada suggested lots of pedialyte in the drinking
water, since dehydration is a huge problem with any dog running a fever, and
giving clavamox. In some of the more serious cases, I used injectable Pepcid to
settle the stomach, less severe but for those not eating well, I gave a few
days of sulcrate. Had to give banamine to 2 dogs only to control the temps.
MOST responded to the clavamox, but it took 15 days of giving it for complete
results. There were still a few that were lagging, not improving a lot. I
switched to chloramphenicol 1 gram tabs at the advise of a handler that had
dealt with this, and bingo, 4 days and everyone was in good shape. I now
keep a bottle of 100 on hand. Gave 1 tab, 3 times a day. Warning with this
drug...for humans it can be cancer causing, do not break the pills in half and
wash your hands after handling it.
I spray my kennel with 2 different things.....Odoban on a garden sprayer
mixed with water daily, and once weekly with Chlorox. At shows, I use
Ascend....not sure of the availability in the US, I get it in Canada. It is the
newest form of the old germicide, Parvasol. It is safe, mixed 6-1 with water to
spray on dogs, their feet, leashes etc. All my dogs get sprayed after a show
and before returning home, as well as before going.
For those interested in natural ways of treating I have discussed this
problem with my homeopathic vet (who was on vacation at the onset of this) and
he
feels that 2 doses of Nosodes (check Lynda Arnt's website) would deal with
this if you catch it at the sneezing stage. He is not in favour of bordetella
shots, or Intrack. Feels we are compromising the immune systems of our dogs
(as do I) that they cannot fight problems anymore.
Does not seem to matter what you have given or not given with this form of
flu. If you come in contact, you will have a fight.
Hope this helps.....if anyone needs more info, contact me privately.
And for everyones info, I have sent a message to Nanci Nellis with
suggestions on disinfecting at the national this year, and overall safety
precautions
for our dogs.
Molly

Trillia German Shepherds

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original