[ SHOWGSD-L ] question- chemicals in extender

  • From: "Karen Rogers" <windyhillsgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSD Show List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:14:37 -0500

Has anyone ever had a bitch that had an allergic reaction to the chemicals,  in
the extender, used in shipped chilled semen?  I have a friend that bred his
bitch, on three occasions,  with chilled semen.  The bitch never became
pregnant but became deathly ill after each insemination.  The first two times
the bitch recovered quickly and the owner did not associate the bitches illness
with the insemination.  This last time, the bitch has not recovered.  Has
severe diarrhea, irritated bowel, & stomach.  She refuses to eat and is a bag
of bones.  Her blood work has not shown much. The vets are puzzled.  They have
run every test they can think of and found nothing.    They findly did
exploritory surgery and found out that the bitch's spleen has some  cancer
cells. None of the other organs showed any signs of cancer.  The vets are at
odds.  One says that he believes that the cancer is caused by chemicals
possibly in the extender.  The other vet says that is impossible.  Have any of
you experienced anything like this before?   I'm just curious. This Champion
bitch was the picture of health before being bred.  My heart goes out to her
owners.
Karen Rogers, Windyhills GSD