[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: puppy prices/"marketing"

  • From: "Cyndy Davis" <cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsdlady28@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:38:07 -0700

Hi Maggie,
There's a lot of marketing you can do that has nothing to do with
advertising in the Review (although I am all for advertising in the Review)
Here are a couple -

Some of these techniques will not be for everyone - people have strong
opinions about advertising -

When I was newbie - and I know others - not knowing much, or anything at all
really, pretty much those who advertised in Dog World were the only access I
had into the GSD world. I'd see the same names every month - and for some
reason (I learned this in my marketing class) seeing something advertised
over and over again gives it credibility. Maybe someone can explain that.

So - advertise in Dog World or that Puppy USA issue - the top German kennel
breeders do!

Build a nice website - tell your story. Show your dogs in not just show
poses, but in real life situations. I'm on a mission right now to get up to
date photos from my puppy buyers.

Stay in touch with your puppy buyers. Schedule yourself to email them
periodically - even just to ask how things are going, send them an
interesting health related article (like the dog food recall), etc.
Having buyers return is much easier than getting new ones.

Ask for referrals - don't be afraid to ask your puppy buyers to write you a
recommendation and put those with pictures on your website. Give them
business cards and ask them for referrals as well.

Whenever you can, take a dog with you. They sell better than anyone else.
Have business cards handy and be open to talking to people about your dog.
:) I take my dogs to Home Depot, Lowes, the Pike Street Market in downtown
Seattle, just about everywhere.

Be available at dog shows --- and we have an opportunity for you to do that
- -

This is still in the works - but soon the PR committee will be asking you to
volunteer 1 hour to work as an ambassador during the National. During that
time you'll spend time with newbies and others just interested in learning
more about you and about the dogs. You will be answering questions, showing
them around, how the shows work, what to look for in a dog or puppy,
introducing them to people, etc. This will also be a good time for you to
forge some bonds with some new people, possibly future puppy buyers.  Kind
of a Meet the Breed, only more in depth.

I hope this gives you more ideas -

Cyndy Davis
www.texasdogs.com
Callian German Shepherds

Interest Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate
new payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18466&moid=7581