[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: poodle attacK for those with Internet Explorer

  • From: "Pam Stoesser" <pkstoesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 17:19:53 -0600

I write a blog for GSDCA.org periodically (if you're interested, it's here -
http://gsdca.org/webmaster-blog/817-browser-versus-search-engine).  This one
discusses browsers and what they do.  Although I use Internet Explorer for
testing (it comes standard with all Windows computers), I use Mozilla’s
Firefox as my personal browser, even on my Apple devices. Mozilla is “open
source” software done by volunteers with no monetary incentive here and
it’s by-and-large very stable.  It’s also less-often vulnerable because
it’s harder to hack than Internet Explorer (IE).
Google Chrome is also a more secure browser but Google collects information
about what websites I visit and that’s a little too much “BIG BROTHER”
for me.

Even if you have an older computer, you can help reduce your risk this by
keeping your software versions up to date.  This is true for both Windows and
Apple products.

Having said that, you might also want to read my blog about security and
identity theft
(http://gsdca.org/webmaster-blog/854-spam-pfishing-identity-theft).

1) Make sure your computer is running a good security program (McAfee is not
one of those - in my opinion) ... see the latest reviews from PC Magazine...

2) Running an additional "malware" (malicious software) like Malware Bytes  on
a DAILY BASIS is REALLY important.

3) Follow some rules:
    - If a link looks fishy, don’t click on it.
   -  No matter how good the email is, if you don’t know for sure who it came
from, don’t click on anything.
   -  Before you click on ANY link, hover your mouse over it to see the website
address.  If you don’t recognize it, don’t click on it.  Go directly to the
website rather than through an email link.
   - Put your critical information (the stuff you can't bear to part with) on
an external drive and/or back it up to an offsite storage service  - see
reviews on the top 37 online backup sites here
(http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/tp/online_backup_services.htm)

Staying safe requires some "situational awareness" in the computer world too...

Pam