[ SHOWGSD-L ] paws, puppy farmers, and friends with benefits

  • From: "Susan Tomlinson" <arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:16:45 -0400

I've hesitated putting this up on the list because I keep waiting for
someone else to bring up. Since they've not I guess I will. There is a
Mennonite fellow close to us that sells Diamond Dog food. I know some on the
list get food from him as well and as they can tell you he is an honest man,
even though he is a puppy farmer. I asked him his thoughts on the Paws issue
and what he had to say was surprising because it has nothing in common with
what we've been hearing from the likes of Jim Holt. He told me that the AKC
has sent speakers to the dog breeders group he belongs to (The Blue Ball
Breeders Association---no I'm not making this up). They are being told that
many of the imported dogs to this country are sick and are spreading disease
to kennels (commercial). They site one area in New England that lost almost
a 1000 dogs and another in Kansas where a disease spread and killed 5000 as
well as sickening the people who worked with the dogs.  I questioned him if
this could be true, because wouldn't something like that make the news?  He
said the AKC had pictures and names when they spoke to his group. The AKC is
also offering to help the breeders figure out how much they have to pay in
licensing fees to the USDA if they are not already licensed by them. I asked
him if he wasn't curious why the AKC would go to all this trouble when so
many commercial breeders have dropped AKC registration. "Oh, he said,
they're in it for the money. Everyone knows that"  What money? I asked and
he replied the AKC had told them they will be taking over the inspections.
They are also offering to help breeders bring thier breeding stock back to
AKC registration by showing them how to fill out supplemental registrations
ect.

A couple of comments: It does sound like its a "done deal" and as for AKC
records and the IRS...a number of years ago Canada had subpoenaed records
from the CKC to track down breeders who weren't paying income taxes on their
"earnings". I'm wondering more and more if this isn't a deal between the
IRS/Government and the AKC for a mutual benefit?? Friends with benefits as
they say.... and what about that breeding stock? I'm sure those males
weren't DNA'd ????  SueT