[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: pasturns-UAP

  • From: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsdramey@xxxxxxx, FARMILGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 17:06:21 EDT

i was just going to say something and finished reading your very  interesting
article.  when my male was diagnosed 8 yrs ago i was taught  that UAP  can
come secondary to soft pasterns. he had soft pasterns  NOTHING like down  just
they were half way between the normal and  down... when he was 14 weeks old til
about 4 months he was diagnosed around 4  1/2 months...  i had changed his
food to low protein they told me and these  pills.. i didn't know any better...
so i did it...  then i was blown away  to learn about this condition and also
later heard it was more genetics not so  much environment i didn't breed him,
i got him at 8wks old... i also never bred  him to any females because i was
afraid to as later i found out there were many  cases of this condition through
the bloodline behind him.  i think UAP is  worse than HD.

anyway, i put him on wellness dog food at 5  or 6 moths old to eat  that til
now he was on fish oil caps and cosequin DS for several years and then  i just
stopped he did schutzhund, sheep herdign stuff but he always bowed out in
the front

he has always led a normal life but just the last few weeks he is in some
serious pain and limping  :(   its ripping my heart out cuz he is  a tough
dog...

i sincerely appreciate everyones input i have a lot to work with you are  all
awesome!!

dm

In a message dated 5/1/2008 9:27:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gsdramey@xxxxxxx writes:
I have  the complete known formula in front of me for this ailment!
Scootie  Sherlock had a workable formula published in the 90s.
Also most  information  & pics are in the 93/94 Redbook.
You can also find  more information in the June, 1995 Review on page 16!
The main culprit is  selenium deficiency (oddly enough today's thread includes
information on  UAP to add selenium and Vitamin E to the dog's diet.)
It is something,  although not common, is a known condition in other animals
as well, even  sheep get it.
Ok --- Drop protein to  SIXTEEN PERCENT
800 units of  vitamin E (per day)
1000 milligrams ov vitamin C (per day)
Increase  selenium and Magnesium to 200 milligrams per feeding (2 times a day)
The  information states further that you may use Maalox and/or Mylanta
Ok -  this next sentence is just my opinion BUT from experience, it appears to
ME  that this is something more GENETIC than any other source along with
the  deficiency aspect.  It's like so many other things, everything must be
taken
into consideration concerning the entire situation.  You can  have 2 siblings
and
only 1 gets what ever.    Recessives are just  what they are - sneaky!!
Please make a note of this information for  others to be able to cope with
this
yucko ailment on our  youngsters.   Oh, a lot of talk has been on excursive &
all  during the recovery period.  Mild activities are recommended and up  and
down rather than straight flat walking when doing the rehab.   Norma no L

favorites at AOL Food.