[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: on shipping dogs, part 2

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:45:02 -0500

Here is what went wrong:
When shipping a dog these days, REQUEST that the TSA agent inspect the
crate BEFORE you turn the crate over to the airline to load. There is
supposed to be a TSA agent(s) present even in the cargo department of
the airport.

Then you put the zip ties on. In fact TSA is supposed to have their own
ties, and put one of those holographic stickers so that no one else
NEEDS to open the crate before shipping. TSA is the last word, so to
speak. I have had to request TSA to look at my crate, so that I can
secure it. I also had an airline person tell me NOT to secure with zip
ties until TSA had inspected. I thanked him and told him I was relieved
"someone" had a clue about procedure. These airlines are still being run
like a rodeo. No one knows what they are supposed to do. A bunch of idiots!

When I was shipping Sav back to Australia, (via LAX) I had to demand
they go and get an agent to seal the crate. The employees didn't even
inspect it! What if I had been a terrorist? The TSA agent inspected, put
the seal, and I zipped him in. Not sure how he was handled in LA, but he
was in a sealed crate due to Australia's strict quarantine laws, so was
probably VERY safe.

The airline employees who checked Griffin in, may well have looked
inside, and around the crate. Even if "they" said it was okay, it still
was supposed to be inspected by a TSA agent. TSA is supposed to inspect
EVERY crate. It is terribly frustrating that they can't get it right
isn't it?

I am sorry you had this happen, but glad you got him re zipped in.

If nothing else, Vivi's loss made me fully aware that NOT a damn thing
has changed. Probably never will. With all the outsourcing, the public
is at MORE risk not less. Consumer reports had a story about all the
problems with safety issues in the airline industry.

Just watch. They will never get it right.