[ SHOWGSD-L ] official temperment-Our Breed

  • From: "chsweetsun" <chsweetsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <VSabiaB@xxxxxxx>, <ccceditor@xxxxxxxxx>, <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:02:59 -0500

 HI Vicki,
This was taken from the AKC's description of the German Shepherd's standard for
Temperament.  I think that by reading this, it explains that our breed is a
breed that we depend allot on the certain character of the dog.
"distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not hostile,
expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend itself
to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be approachable,
quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and willingness to meet
overtures without itself making them. It is poised, but when the occasion
demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as
companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the
circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its
master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with
anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to
strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not
typical of good character. Any of the above deficiencies in character which
indicate shyness must be penalized as very serious faults and any dog
exhibiting pronounced indications of these must be excused from the ring. "
I underlined the one part that I feel is a must.  And, whenever I am asked "why
does the German Shepherd need a Temperament Test in the ring? "  I tell them
that we feel that Temperament is just as important as the look of the dog, and
therefore we are willing to have our dogs tested by any person or judge out
there.  I am not offended and I feel more breeds should follow our lead.
Tari Kridler
http://members.aol.com/kridlersgsd
Home of 2003 Amer. & Can. GVX Ch. Kridler's Ruby & her father 2 x Sel. Ch.
Kridler's Quno