[ SHOWGSD-L ] numbers, shmumbers... ENOUGH

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:26:02 -0400

I've read this thread for two days now... and it really accomplishes
absolutely nothing.  In the grand scheme of thing, nationwide, Ellen is
correct... the number of "purebreds" in the shelters is between 18 to
20%.... but does it really matter?  If it was just one it would be too many.

Noone is try to blame anyone here for the problem (well in 99% of the case
they aren't)... we are just trying to get some help. I posted earlier 100
Ways To Help Rescue. Did anyone bother to read it?  I did not get one
response.

Add to that list.... a couple of other things...

Work with your local county/city or state (personally I think it should be
state wide) politicos to REQUIRE Animal "shelters" to work with legitimate
Breed Rescue groups.  A good deal of our problem is having to deal with
small minded people on some kind of power trip refusing to work with Rescue
to get those dogs out of the shelter.  And that doesn't just effect our
breed.

Work to prevent, or eliminate pet limits.... that is now one of the top 10
reasons animals are being turned into animal shelters (except for the rural
ones). The number of pets someone has is NO indication of how well they are
cared for, and limits prevent a lot of people from fostering that would
otherwise be able to.

Those able to do so buy a copy of Nathan Winograds book... and buy an extra
for the local Animal Control Board (or whoever is in charge of overseeing
Animal Control).

And last but not least... (it was on the list of 100 things, but can never
be said enough)... MONEY.... it takes money, money and more money to save
these dogs.  Money for pull fees where they won't let rescue pull free...
money for vet care.... money for board, money for transport.

Much like in a Dog Club, where it seems the same core group do all the
work... we have the same core group that regularly donates what and whenever
possible.... but has been mentioned before (and I will KEEP mentioning)
there are over a thousand people on this list... if every list member sent a
measly $2 that would be over $2000! That would go a long way!   So have one
less cup of coffee on your way to work in the morning.... it will make a
huge difference.

Ginger Cleary
"... more harm and misery have been caused by men determined to use coercion
to stamp out a moral evil than by men intent on doing evil."-- Fredrich v
Hayek
My Ebay site <http://stores.ebay.com/The-Crafty-K9_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm>
My Cafepress store <http://www.cafepress.com/thecraftyk9>
Rome, GA http://www.rihadin.com/