[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: need info.

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SallyHH31@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:59:42 -0800 (PST)

hope this helps, lots on internet. morgan

  An Experimental Treatment for Ossifying Spondylitis
  By Don Polley, DVM
  Spondylosis deformans (ankylosing spondylitis, ossifying spondylitis) is the
formation of osteophytes (bone spurs) around the margins of vertebral
endplates. The formation of osteophytes is the non-inflammatory bony response
to degenerative changes in the intervertebral discs. Obviously, older canine
patients are more likely to be affected, with large breeds considered to have a
higher incidence.
  It has often been argued that spondylosis deformans is not of clinical
importance. I disagree. I have found varying levels of pain and proprioception
deficits in the hind legs --- with associated weakness in the majority of
affected individuals, not the minority. Our inability to properly define the
effects of pain in many animals has allowed the propagation of this
misinformation.
  I contend that the osteophytes place pressure on spinal nerve roots,
resulting in varying degrees of inflammation that lead to varied symptoms.
These symptoms include, but are not limited to, pain, weakness and delayed
proprioceptive reflexes in the hind limbs. All these symptoms may appear I a
single patient or as individual signs.
  In the past treatment for the obvious effects of inflammation due to
osteophyte pressure on spinal nerve roots has been limited to non-steroidal,
anti-inflammatory drugs or corticosteroids. Both of these treatment modalities
carry a certain risk of undesirable side effects. For this reason, when I met
with Jeff Brown of Eudaemonic Corp. in August 1992 to discuss the effects of
treating intervertebral disc disease with Rubeola Virus Immunomodulator (RVI) I
was much more interested in using it for spondylitic lesions than for IVD. RVI
is approved for use in equine for treatment of chronic myositis and myofascial
inflammation; it stimulates T-lymphocytes to help eliminate inflammation.
  Protocol
  A set protocol was determined for selection and treatment of spondylosis
deformans cases:

   The dogs selected must have been radiographically diagnosed with spondylosis
deformans.
   Coxofemoral radiographs must have been included since many of our patients
have osteoarthritis of the coxofemoral joints.
   The dogs must have shown proprioceptive deficits in either one or both rear
legs.
  Treatment
  Pain was not set as a criterion due to the difficulty in truly assessing it,
not to mention the fact that most of our patients have osteoarthritic changes
in addition to spondylosis.
  Our first patient was a diagnosed systemic lupus erythematosus case: a
7-year-old spayed female Great Dane with osteoarthritis of both coxofemoral
joints and her left stifle. Radiographs had been taken, and treatment began
with Adequan for the osteoarthritis. This regimen of therapy was highly
effective, but she still had severe proprioceptive deficits and weakness in her
hind legs. Therefore, she was chosen first.
  A trial dosage of 2cc of RVI given subcutaneously was administered daily for
six days. Improvement in her hind limbs was evident after four injections.
After six injections, absolutely no proprioceptive deficits were found. The
owner was overwhelmed at the response.
  The patient was checked every week for proprioceptive deficits, and she
remained normal until 32 days post-treatment. At that time 2cc boosters were
given daily for four days, with return to normal after three days.
Unfortunately, 19 days after this series, the reflexes diminished again.
  The dosage was arbitrarily increased to a single 3cc booster dose given
subcutaneously. Improvement occurred within 24 hours. There have not been
proprioceptive deficits in the hind legs for more than eight months now.
However, 3cc boosters have been administered every 90 days.
  Since the first success, nine other patients have been treated with varying
degrees of spondylosis and osteoarthritis. All have received Adequan when
osteoarthritis was diagnosed. The results have been astonishing.
  Seven out of 10 patients have had excellent response with no proprioceptive
deficits ranging from 30 to 90 days post injections. Two patients have had good
results with a drastic improvement in proprioceptive deficits but not a
complete return to normal. One patient had only fair results with some
improvement, but this patient died of a pre-existing renal failure condition
within two weeks of treatment.
  Included in the treatment group were one Great Dane, one Old English
Sheepdog, one Collie, one Shetland Sheepdog, two Dalmatians, two Labrador
Retrievers and two mixed-breed dogs. With the exception of the Shetland
Sheepdogs, all dogs are over 27kg. It was found that 3cc of RVI caused faster
and longer lasting improvement in dogs over 30 kg. Therefore, on all subsequent
cases of 30kg or greater, 3cc of RVI is given subcutaneously daily for six days.
  It was also determined that, although two dogs showed improvement after two
injections, seven out of ten did not show improvement until at least four
injections. Therefore, six injections are probably necessary to definitely rule
out a lack of improvement. The only observed side effect has been a localized
swelling similar to other vaccine-induced localized reactions. This reaction
has only occurred in three out of 10 patients.
  I am extremely optimistic about this drug since it may offer an alternative
to treating ossifying spondylitis with steroid or on-steroidal
anti-inflammatory medications without the side effects. I hope further study
and investigation of RVI will be instituted at the university level.
  Dr Polley (Missouri 1971) owns Harvester Animal Clinic, St. Charles, MO. He
lectures on many topics and is a member of this magazine?s Advisory Board.
314-447-3565.

SallyHH31@xxxxxxx wrote:
  Would like some info on Spondylosis please and thank you.
SallyHH

Morgan and His Angels
  Precious, OFA
  Princess, CGC, TDI, GSDCA Health Award