[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: movie dogs and Lassie

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick@xxxxxxxxx, sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:01:10 EST

The first "Lassie, Come Home" movie originally cast a bitch for  the
part of Lassie, but when it came time to film the scene where Lassie
swims the river, she would have none of it!  Russ Weatherwax's  dog
was used for the scene, and also gave a very convincing crawl and
collapse on the other side.  The directors were so impressed,  they
replaced the bitch and refilmed the scenes she had been used
in.  Every Lassie since has been descended from the original.

An interesting sidenote - the original Lassie continued to join
Russ on the set long after he retired, until he passed away
at 20 years of age.  Russ said the great dog's love of work
was the reason for his long life.

I think it was the Gazette that published a great interview with
Mr. Weatherwax several years ago.

Janice

In a message dated 2/2/2006 6:47:50 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
pmick@xxxxxxxxx writes:
The  family associated with Lassie is the Weatherwax family.  Trainer of
the original Lassie was Russ Weatherwax.
Peggy

Sheila Lieberman  wrote:

>While it is true Lassie was a male and more than one dog,  they were father
and son over and over, I have seen a program about  Lassie.  The breeder is a
Hollywood stunt dog trainer who worked with  lots of dogs, his son has carried
on the family kennel.

>  And, yes, Lassie was a dog, not a bitch, dogs are more stable  because
they do not come in heat, and even a spayed bitch will have swings  that are
not
acceptable to Hollywood.  Most star dogs, though not all, as  noted in another
post, are male.

>  There are  still Lassie's today, at the same kennel, doing other
production work  still.  The family, can't remember the name, continues the
dog's line
to  this day.

>  If Rin Tin Tin has dogs from his  line that look just like him, great!
Use them for the movie.  But  there are none who look just like him, get
someone
who  does.