[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: missing testicle

  • From: Barbash@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:02:07 EDT

  We have had 3 cases over the years where a testicle became swollen and warm
following  the second or third innoculation. It does not seem to bother the
pup and can be easily missed. However, as the swelling diminishes the testicle
does too. It has always happened after 10 weeks. Our vet finally called the
vacine company (Norden) but they claimed no knowledge of such a condition. The
surgery done by another vet on the second dog became complicated as the
atrophied testicle was in the inguinal ring and not up around the kidney as the
vet
anticipated. I suspect a condition similar to mumps in humans following the
vacine, but it sure does ruin a show prospect!  We have not had another case
since switching to Fort Dodge. By the way, these were all very different
breedings.
 Ann