[ SHOWGSD-L ] made me sad

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:18:38 EDT

being the insomniac that i am, i caught a documentary on canine partners
for life, (a service dog organization located in cochranvile, PA) that was
aired on tv VERY early this morning.  they raise and train many wonderful dogs
to assist the disabled in almost every facet of their lives.  what made me
sad is that all their dogs are either labs, goldens, standard poodles or
mixed breeds.  there was not ONE GSD.  it made me think about the heidi banks;
the beautiful GSD statues in harness that used to be seen everywhere, left in
stores to raise money for seeing eye.  heidi banks are no more as few GSDs
are being used anymore for this type of service.  it made me very sad to
realize that our amazing breed is, for some reason, no longer being utilized in
the numbers it used to as service dogs.  i think we need to look at what
may be the reason behind this.
btw, the only GSD seen on the program was a photo of a lovely coat named
mondo, from novato, CA.  his photo was in the "Silly Smile" section of the
show.
diane
Diane Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>An Excellent Credit Score
is 750. See
Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585065x1201462786/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=
668072&amp;hmpgID=62&amp;bcd=JuneExcfooterNO62)</HTML>