[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: long...but a must read for every breeder on this list

  • From: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 10:46:48 EDT

Actually , our digestive systems are NOT designed as a meat-eater's. Sorry
to disappoint but that's a fact.
That's one reason they advise against so much meat in diets.
lynda
(vegetarian but not vegan)

Falkrigia  Shepherds ....Gene Workman / Lynda Bragg-Workman
_www.falkrigiashepherds.com_ (http://www.falkrigiashepherds.com/)
_www.thecraftywoodchuck.com_ (http://www.thecraftywoodchuck.com/)

Last  Hope, Safe Haven German Shepherd Rescue Coordination-BOD
_www.LastHopeSafeHaven.com_ (http://www.lasthopesafehaven.com/)
Old  Fella Burke County Animal Rescue - Training Director
_http://oldfella.org/_ (http://oldfella.org/)

In a message dated 4/3/2008 10:36:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Pentimento
by DIANE KLUMB
as published in Show Site Magazine  September 2002

Hi. My name is  Diane, and I am a Breeder.
I am  good at it, and I am damned proud of it.
I bought my first show dog in 1969 and whelped my first  litter
in April, 1975.
I have, since that inauspicious  beginning, in partnership with my long
suffering husband and a few good  friends produced a few dozen champions,
some top producers, a handful of  Specials, and a lot of superb close-working
grouse dogs and well loved  companions.  We kept a fair number over the years
and sold the rest.  (NOTE: I said sold, not 'placed'...we'll address that
particular idiocy  later.) We owned a kennel for many years, and trained gun
dogs.  This  involved the killing of untold numbers of game birds, all of
which we  ate.  I have more recipes for pheasant, grouse and woodcock than
you  can shake a stick at. We showed our hunting dogs and hunted over our
show  dogs.
I do not believe for a minute that  the whelping or sale of a
single one of those purebred dogs is in any way  responsible of the
euthanization of a million unwanted dogs a year at the  shelters around the
country, any more that I believed that cleaning my  plate when I was a kid
could in any way benefit all the poor starving  children in Africa, no matter
how much the nuns or my mother tried to make  me feel guilty about it.
I  couldn't see the logic then and I can't see it now (although
today I would  maybe refrain from suggesting that we bundle up Sister
Edlita's
meatloaf and actually send it to the poor starving children in  Africa.)

Look at it this  way:
If I go to a bookstore  specifically to buy Matt Ridley's The
Human Genome (which, as it happens, I  recently did) and that bookstore does
not have it, I will do one of two  things - I will order it, or I will go to
another bookstore the does carry  it and purchase it there.  What I will NOT
do is take the same money  and buy Martha Stewart's latest cookbook instead,
because this is not what  I want.
Guilt without logic is dangerous.
Show breeders are simply not responsible for the millions  of
unplanned and unwanted mongrels produced in this country. Period. So  don't
let anyone make you feel guilty about it.
I do not understand why the top horse farms in this  country are
not in the least embarrassed by the fact they make a lot of  money doing it,
yet in the world of dogs if one is to be respected, one is  to lose one's ass
financially.  That is a load of horseshit, pure and  simple, yet we accept it
meekly and without question.

Why is that?
Basic economic theory suggests that if we are not turning  a
profit, one of two things is wrong - we suffer from poor management, ore  we
are not asking enough for our product to cover our production  costs.  What
are our costs?
Well, if we  are breeding good dogs, besides basic food and
veterinary costs
we  ought to be adding in the costs of showing these animals, and
advertising,  and health testing, which are not expenses incurred by the high
volume  breeders (puppy mills).
OK, so we  have much higher costs involved in producing our
healthier, sounder  animals. Yet the average pet shop puppy sells for about
the same as the  average well bred pet from show stock, and often they sell
for much  more.
What's wrong with this  picture?
We're stupid that's  what's wrong.

Q. Why does a Jaguar sell for ten times more than  a
Hundai?
A.  Because it's worth more and everyone knows  it.

"And everyone knows  it" is the key phrase here, folks. But
somehow no one knows our puppies are  worth more and we're embarrassed to
tell them.
Why is that?
The  difference between the sale price of a multi million dollar
stallion  and
what he's worth as horsemeat on any given day at a livestock auction  is
quality. Yet we cannot address this issue in dogs because we are  embarrassed
to talk about money and dogs in the same breath.

Why is that?
OK, I'll tell you, because someone has to come out and  say this
sooner or later.
There is a war going on.
Unlike most wars, however, this one actually has three sides
rather  than two.
We have Show breeders,  who are producing a small number of
purebred dogs.
We have High-Volume breeders who are producing a large  number of
purebred dogs.
We  have Animal Rights Activists, who believe that neither group
has the right  to breed or even own purebred dogs, much less make a profit  at
it.
While the first group is busy trying to get rid of
the  second group because they don't like the way they breed dogs (which by
the  way ain't gonna happen as long as the American public wants purebred
dogs  and the first group won't produce them) the third group is winning  the
war.
You think I'm making  this up?
Then how come we've  started saying we "placed" our puppies
instead of sold them?
We talk about the new "adoptive homes"  instead of their new
owners.
What's next? Instead of price of a puppy, we'll charge an
"adoption  fee?"
What's wrong with this new  language?

I'll tell you  -
We didn't come up with it, the  Animal Rights Activists did - we
are just stupid enough to use  it.
We are stupid   because it's based on the premise that we have
no right to
own  dogs.
It is based on  the premise that dog ownership is the moral
equivalent of  human  slavery, and that the species homo sapien has no right
to use any other  species for any purpose whatsoever, be it food, clothing,
medical research,  recreation or involuntary companionship.

Now, I don't know about you, but my politically  incorrect
opinion is:
Our  species did not spend the last million years clawing our way
to the  top
of the food chain to eat tofu. The stuff tastes like shit no matter how  you
cook it, and there is absolutely no sense pretending  otherwise.

Zoology  101:

Animals who kill other  animals for their primary food source are
called predators. Their eyes are  generally on the front of their skulls,
they have teeth designed to tear  flesh from bone, and a digestive system
designed to digest meat (like us).  Animals that live primarily off
vegetation are called herbivores.   They have better peripheral vision, flat
teeth for grinding, and the most  efficient of them have multiple stomachs,
which we do not (like cows). And  lastly, Animals who live primarily off what
other have killed (carrion) are  called scavengers (think about that one long
and hard.)
Man like the canid, is a  pack-hunting predator, which is
probably why we get along so well. (If that  fact bothers you, get over it.)

How did we get to the top of the food chain?
We are the most intelligent  and efficient pack-hunters ever
to suck oxygen from the atmosphere, that's  how.
We are  certainly intelligent enough to understand that
maintaining that position  on this small planet depends on responsible
stewardship, not  guilt.
And we are  so damned efficient that we can support a
tremendous number of scavengers  in our midst.  Like the Animal Rights
Activists, for  instance.
(Me, I  think we should dump the whole lot of them buck naked
in the Boundary  Waters and see how well this equalitarian philosophy of
theirs plays out,  but that's probably too politically incorrect for anybody
else to  consider.  Sigh.)

So what do we do?
Well, to begin with we need to regain control. The first way we
do this is  with language, which is the tool they have been using on us.
These people who don't want us to "own" dogs are  likening
themselves to Abolitionists. That's a fallacy, unless you accept  the premise
that dogs are really little humans in fur coats, which frankly  is an insult
to a species that has never waged war on the basis of  religious differences.
No, the  group they really resemble is the
Prohibitionists-remember them?
A  particularly annoying bunch of zealots who firmly believed and somehow
managed
to convince our duly elected representatives that alcohol was a  bad thing,
and any beverage containing it should be illegal in these United  States of
America.
Very few Americans actually agreed with this, by the  way, but by the time
Congress got its head out of its collective  you-know-what, a whole new
industry had developed-
Organized  Crime.

We look back at that  whole debacle now and wonder how anything
that stupid and wrongheaded ever  happened.

Well, boys and  girls, in the inimitable words of the great Yogi
Berra: Its's Déjà vu all  over again.   The Prohibitionists are back.

And once again,  we are buying it.  Amazing.

POST  is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the original
kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the

FORBIDDEN,
AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW.  VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE -  www.showgsd.org