[ SHOWGSD-L ] is this part of the problem?

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 10:58:27 -0500 (CDT)

Hickoryhill German Shepherds
Steve and Christine Grainger
vi= sit us at www.hickoryhillgsd.com[1]     I agree with the posts written
myKay and Kathy. We have always traine= d and condtioned the dogs ourselves,
but we have the ability to.There is mo= re to training than leash training.
Often due to time constraints and weath= er, we have to resort to training
puppies in the ring at the actual show. H= owever with older dogs, road work
is started well in advance of the nationa= l. Although playing ball, etc is
great, we treat it as an adjunct to road w= ork. Not many of our co-owners
have the faciltiy, the time or even the= ability to do this. So this is a
service we offer to those who have bought= dogs from us either outright or
onco-ownership. Sometimes Steve will= handle the dog, sometimes we have Jeff
handle the dog. Depends on the dog = and who it works best for. I agree that
it is not fun  for some t= o stay home while their dog is being shown as
theyare not a part of it. Ho= wever, the cost of handling and expenses force
many to stay home. It is too= cost prohibitive to pay for your expenses,
plusthe handlers, and in some = cases an entourage that accompanies the
handler which can include spouses, = kids, groomers, whomever. I am
fortunateto have a handler that d= oes not charge food expenses. Jeff';s
belief as well as many all-breed hand= lers is that food shouldn';t charged
since they eat everyday whether at the= show or at home. Over the years, I
have heard of some outrageous expenses.= Seems some handlers eat
beenie-weenies Monday through Thrusday and eat ste= ak, shrimp and drink as
if they have a hollow leg on their clients dime. I = have also heard of
handlers being taken out to dinner, or staying free of c= harge at someones
home and charging the client for food and lodging. Not su= re the IRS would
agree with the practice of profiting off your expenses. Of= course, I am not
certain the IRS would agree with charging 100% of the exp= enses incurred by
the handlers to clients,l then deducting a applicabl= e percentage off your
taxes. Afterall, most dog people don';t claim their h= andling expenses,
therefore most handlers don';t have to prove that they ha= ve double dipped
or they have fixed their books ( if ever audited) to cover= making money off
of expenses. If the IRS ever got wind of the dealing= of the dog world, they
would have a field day!   Bottom line is, in the beginning showing and
breeding dogs was a = sport of royalty. I beleive it is going in this
direction again. Those with= deep pockets will continue to breed and show,
but the numbers of middle-up= per middle income exhibitors will continie
dropping as the cost of the spor= t continues to increase. The hay day of
this sport was in good economic tim= es and the loss of exhibitor in this
sport is proprtionate to the ecnomic t= imes we live in today. Other breeds
have increased entries because many can= be owner handled thus cutting the
expense by half or more. Our good friend= , ( and and excellent buisnessman)
Scott Trahan told me several years ago, = that those involved in handling
GSD';s would price themselves out of buisne= ss.  As the entries decrease,
handling rates for GSD';s continue to go= upward, thus creating a situation
where only a selctive group of people wi= th quite a bit of disposable
incomewill be able to afford the the sport. I= t doesn';t take a genius to
see this, just a good buisnessman like Scott!
--- Links ---
   1 3D"http://www.hickoryhillgsd.com";