[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: implanting/Reluctant bitches

  • From: ORSuite@xxxxxxx
  • To: dir@xxxxxxxxxx, shephaven@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:39:56 EST

In a message dated 2/27/2006 8:26:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dir@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
These  bitches that hate to be bred seem to be telling me something.  I have
talked to a number of my friends that have handled stud dogs.  We are  seeing
this more and more---WHY?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
I had 2 bitches, different altogether--one German and one American  lines.
My first "reluctant" bitch was a dominant one.  ANY male on  top of her was a
sign of dominance. NO WAY,JOSE!!  She was extremely  difficult to get a natural
breeding from.  I did get 2 litters, doing AI.  She was a drill sergeant for
a mom.  Real disciplinarian!  Not one of  those playful moms, although did her
"duty" without aggression on her  pups.  SUPER protective of them with anyone
outside of the home!  They  turned out to be fine, physically and mentally,
but very serious dogs.  Not  for the feint of heart!
  My second bitch that posed these "issues" was very much the same  way.
Nothing was easy with her.  Difficult to breed and she had NO  interest in the
pups, to the extreme!  She, too was dominant, but not like  the other.  I
thought that it was a "new mom" thing with her, but she NEVER  had those
maternal
instincts.  She was ALL FOR my male to babysit  and take care of them!  From
Day
ONE! He loved the puppies and would jump  the expen I kept around the box and
lie in there with them, nuzzling and  cleaning.  Real Mr Mom he was! (He's
almost 12 now) Thank God, I had a  friend whose Bassett had a false pregnancy,
developed milk and was able to  nurse these babes.  Well, these pups turned out
to have very physical, life  issues discovered from ages 4 months to 2 yrs.
ALL of them!  Maybe  mom "knew" something? And would not breed?  She never did
again. in full  blown heat, she would refuse, even left with the
male(supervised, of  course!)
Call me "old School", but if a bitch won't or can't breed naturally, at
least once, I won't do it.  We seem to produce more of the same--(pick your
poison here). I'm not talking about "aiding" and assisting(size and safety come
mind).  Nor about getting that frozen semen in from a dog who we can't  get
to, but when both parties are "front and center", let nature takes it's
course--or not!  I've had natural breeders and no issues with mom or young.
When I
have done major interference to "get the job done", there were more  issues
down the road, some that are unforeseeable in the immediate present and
future.
 But bite us later on and we wonder "WHY?"
Sorry.  Just my personal take on this whole thing! Nothing personal  against
anyone in particular for their own breeding practices. We all do what we  feel
we must when the time comes.
My signature line says it all, in anything I do--to me anyway!

Chris K
"Do Right and  Fear No One" --from the Stephanitz Family  Crest