[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: horrible, sad story.RABIES..

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:20:40 +0000

My specialty so let me help you out here.  There is no 'tratmernt' for rabies
in animals - only humans.  Human post-exposure treatment involves a massive
dose of Human Immunoglobulin split into multiple doses - 1/2 administered
directly into the bite and the other half in muscle tissue - as soon as
possible after exposure.  Doseage is based on the person's body weight = BIG,
ugly, syringes!!  This is followed up with rabies vaccine on days 1,3,7,14,and
21 post exposure - id - intradermal and no big deal!  The first medication is
someone else's rabies antibodies.  The remaining vaccines are to jump start
your system to build its own antibodies.
In animals, recommended course of action is:  if unvaccinated or NOT CURRENT -
euthanize and test or a strictly supervised SIX MONTH quarantine if the owner
absolutely pitches a fit.  Vaccinate/revaccinate at the end of month five.  If
vaccinated - revaccinate immediately and hold in a strick quarantine for 45
days.  Yep, QUARANTINE EVEN OF VACCINATED.  The CDC Rabies Compendium, which is
the rabies bible for MDs and GVMs, states specifically that "rabies titers MAY
NOT be used in leiu of current vaccines."  Currently there is only one way to
test and that is to examine brain/neurologic tissue - a direct black light
examination will cause live rabies virus to glow, slides/stained will show the
virus.  DNA testing can show the animal of origin.  These are divided into dog,
bat, raccoon, skunk or Coyote rabies and the variations CAN be passed by a
different species.  For instance, a raccoon can be carrying 'ba t' rabies.
Vaccinations can have a break in efficacy and may not alw
 ays be
 effective.  Hense teh quarantine for vaccinated animals.

 Several years ago the Alabama State veterinarian was researching/experimenting
with post-exposure treatment in vaccinated dogs but died prior to publishing
his data.  He maintained a pack of hunting hounds that were used in his
research as well as his hunting companions.  All of the official rabies
research is conducted in the CDC facility in Atlanta.  The Compendium is
available on line for anyone who would like to see it.  It is an interesting
document.  Contains an appendix of every approved rabies vaccine manufactured,
length of time approved, and what species research was conducted on.     There
is currently research underway to get approval for a 7 year rabies vaccine but
it will take at least 10 years to get it approved IF they are starting from
scratch on test animals.

Leisurely reading...... Between the Compendium and the Mortality/Morbidity
Report you can see why Suzie is a wonderful conversationalist....... LOL

Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com
Home of Ch Cookie HT PT RN TC CGC, Ch Flair, BIS/BISS Ch Yancy HIC HT PT RA CD
TC CGC BH, Ch Flash, Mousser (13 points/1 mjr), Tess [150 PLUS ROM points/40
ATAA points], and Lil' Miss Gilli RN[Mjr Res Winner]! Website updated 08/06

From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>