[ SHOWGSD-L ] hockwalkers vs correct movement / callouses

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx, Tigra12@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:36:15 EDT

In a message dated 7/5/2005 6:33:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:
I have  mentioned a couple of times about a pup that I had, that by 6 months
had  huge callouses on his elbows BECAUSE of the way he lay with his elbows
akimbo.    Those callouses grow as they are basically necrotic  skin that
builds
layer by layer.   I don't think we can  attribute them to one single cause,
really.

Boy, that would have driven me nuts!  But, no, we shouldn't have  all sorts
of lumps, bumps and oddities on the backs of our dogs' hocks.   All dogs sit, a
lot of dogs go up and down stairs, feet are for walking, not the  backs of
their hocks.  Every now and again I'll see a puppy out and about  who doesn't
have a callous yet, all sore and raw looking.  news  flash!  That's not
"normal"
and you can talk about drive and suspension all  day long, but I don't want
babies with bloody hocks.
I don't need to diagnose it (too long a hock, way too much rear angulation,
faulty rear configuration, too loose ligamentation?), I don't need to defend
it,  I sure as h*** don't want to discuss it with a companion home or their
vet, I  don't want to have to say a novena to hope it improves, I don't need to
second  guess it, I just don't want it.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_