[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: help: herpes infection

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:15:15 EDT

In a message dated 10/28/2006 11:53:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I'm  posting this for a friend.  How bad is a herpes infection in a  puppy?
My friend just bought a very expensive show pick Boston Terrier  and as she
was leaving the breeder told her " Oh, by the way,  I have a  little herpes
infection going thru the kennel right now. Your pup will be  immune to it."
So,
how true is that, and can that puppy infect the dogs  at my friends house?
Thanks so much,   SueT

Oh crap.

Her puppy should be OK, BUT he can spread the disease AND if she has a  bitch
who is pregnant or will be bred, that bitch could reabsorb or loose  puppies
from the next litter.  (The dogs don't have to come in contact,  it's
airborne.)

Have your friend do her homework, talk to her vet, be prepared if something
like this happens, (antibiotics won't work, it's a virus)..... What a  mess!

(It's also one of the reasons I pretty much quarantine a pregnant bitch,
myself and the other dogs when I have somebody bred.  I guess there used to  be
the thought that once a dog builds an immunity they can't be  re-infected.  NOT
TRUE! And it also isn't true that once a bitch has  had a litter w/ herpes,
she won't ever run into that again.  What's  not clear is if stress brings on a
reoccurrence or if it's a totally new  bout.  Nasty stuff!)

Here's a link:

_http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/vhr2.html_
(http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/vhr2.html)

And Sue, you stay out of there for a while so you don't bring it  home.  It
can be on your clothes, shoes....

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_