[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: heart breaking

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "stormy435@xxxxxxxxx" <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 03:35:05 -0600

On Friday, December 19, 2014, Stormy V. Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Barb, Best Friend Sanctuary wants more than transportation money.  They
> want board and room (and medical) for the rest of the Dog’s life.

And, to add to it, that Bela is known to be aggressive, he will be
condemned to living in a solitary kennel run out in the desert- not even
indoor-outdoor- but behind an 8' fence and a tarp shelter and dog house to
live out the rest of his days...( Go check out BFAS "dog town" video and
see for yourself:    http://youtu.be/jLVfebVxM88 , but so notice they only
do a fly-over of the group pen areas- I can't seem to find any of their
"dogs who want to live alone" housing in their videos. Where are they
all???)  In, what would be to me, personal h*ll to a dog who was a constant
companion and house dog.  I wonder what best friends animal sanctuary does
for those PEOPLE aggressive animals they get?!? Solitary confinement? Not
like there's slam doors to keep them in to clean the outside of their
runs... It's ALL outside!  In the desert nonetheless! That will be just a
lovely change for Bela to endure with all the rest of the mess...
Or, would he be one of the very few who DO get sent out and euthanized
because they're too much of a liability to human life to be able to be
cared for?  After the (currently non-existent) monies were sent with him
for years(?) of care providing and he were to end up euthanized
anyways-- not like they'd pass back an earmarked donation that wasn't going
to be used for its purpose!
I know it's always an eye opener when I enlighten people about that Best
Friends Animal Sanctuary-  they take homeless animals- on earmarked
donations for many who are in the position similar to Bela- NOT FOR FREE
OUT OF THE KINDNESS OF THEIR HEARTS, BUT FOR A PRICE- because they aren't
strays in a shelter, or a PR opportunity like the Michael "Vicktim" dogs
and what all they've been called... Now the "Vicktory" dogs- well the some
that aren't living in solitary confinement, the some that were immediately
euthanized for various medical & temperament reasons, and the some who
weren't euthanized later for the same above reasons.... A few of over the
100 dogs did get adopted (I want to say in the teens) as over 50 of them
were euthanized and the rest are still "in rehabilitation waiting to find a
home" as BFAS likes to call it- but the real fact is they are unadoptable
dogs, and probably always will be. Unpredictable disqualifies dogs as being
adoptable- well I guess in my pitiful "book"- on a tangent, how many dogs I
see who NEVER should have seen the front door of the shelter - much less
over & over cuz they get returned time & time again for being biters, etc
and are YET STILL READOPTED OUT!!!  WTF people screw your heads on right
and realize that not all dogs ARE saleable (cuz I call it what it really
is).
Sorry y'all...  I just don't find it cool to plop a house dog into that
lifestyle until he loses it and bites and ends up dead anyhow- and that
someone would have to pay for that to happen?  Nope.  However, I do find it
very cool to respect Connie Lay's wishes as she clearly spelled out in her
last will & testament.  Her veterinarian respects his/her client's wishes,
and is waiting for the event to happen, feeling confident he/she is doing
the right thing as well-- and then at least Bela will go on the journey to
his person leaving this earth with people he knows at least a little,
people who have been caring for him for years, and who surely have cared
about him as I do patients of my own.
I have held, or pushed the plunger for countless THOUSANDS of companion
animals as it was their time to leave this earth.... Sometimes 30-40 a day
at The Anti-Cruelty Society in downtown Chicago!  (Yeah, Dr Death finally
cracked after almost 2 years of spay & neuter in the am, and often euthing
more than in the end of my workday than I saved that morning...)
I can say with confidence and certainty that a good euthanasia is as gentle
and dignified a way to die as it gets.  I'm sorry to say, but there is a
most poignant beauty and serenity to have all your loved ones circled
around you to see you off on your journey, though a most sad time, yet so
perfect- to not die alone- to die with those you know, love, cared about,
waited at the door for on weekdays, and ate 3 pairs of shoes on as a puppy,
are there for, and with you, as you leave your body-- and the last thing
you see and hear is someone who is telling you "I love you and will see you
again on the other side my heart DOG" ... And the vet then makes 100% sure
the pet has passed away.
That's the euthanasia scenario at a private veterinary practice.
Now, here's how it goes at a shelter:
Dog gets pulled from a kennel run on a slip lead and led to a back room
(cinder block usually) near to the rendering freezer- usually an open/empty
room or perhaps a table for the small dogs.... Plopped in the corner and
restrained by one person and "holds off" (by gripping the upper arm to cut
off the vein and lifting the leg) for the other to shave a "window" and
then use a steel needle (versus a proper catheter like at the vets office-
a needle costs $0.02 and a proper IV catheter costs almost a darned dollar
a piece ya know) attached to the syringe blows it in asap so the needle
won't catch the vein and blow it and the dog drops and is carried to the
freezer to await the rendering truck.  Their weights are guessed, I always
made sure to "overdose" on the Fatal-Plus so I could be sure to NOT THROW
ANY STILL LIVING ANIMALS IN FREEZER AS SOME OTHERS ARE INCLINED TO DO SO
THEY WOULDNT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE TROUBLE TO "STICK" THEM AGAIN.
The intractable (aka aggressive/fearful) dogs are pinned to the wall behind
a special-made chain link gate- maneuvered there by a catch pole or two-
then a leg pulled through the link and juiced that way.   Sounds LOVELY and
PEACEFUL and DIGNIFIED as a way to die now, doesn't it?!?  And that's how
the "Anti-Cruelty Society" did it. If that's anti-cruel, I don't want to
imagine what cruelty is!!!

Take your pick... But I sure know Best Friends Animal Sanctuary won't be
getting earmarked money from ME!   I would sooner take my broke ass and go
bail Bela out myself and take him to his regular vet's office and see him
off myself on my own thousand than to part with one thin dime for the sole
purpose of disrespecting the dead and serving others' selfishness!
Euthanasia means "good death" or "mercy killing".  Is this not the
definition of what would be done for Bela if he could just get to his vet?

This kind of crap just makes me lose my mind... So sorry if I offended
anyone but this stuff hits close to home for me and has both moved and
broken my heart
Broken hearted, honestly spoken, but still respectfully yours in the GSD-

Jen P & her Pack who wonder what it is she's doing when she's crying and
yelling at her phone again today wondering when she'll go off on her
tangent about how that it's okay to juice a criminal against his will, how
is it not okay for a person to make informed consent to be euthanized
instead of suffering a terminal illness and torturing the loved ones and
breaking the bank just to leave them behind destitute and empty handed and
empty hearted?  I ain't for stupid suicide, but to be afforded the
privilege of a "good death", a dignified death, and for my family left
behind to not suffer along with me as I slowly died....  I wish I were my
dog instead if I had a terminal illness when it comes to that!

--
JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Canine Consulting
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!

Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs...
Donate to the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
www.dogshowjuniors.com