[ SHOWGSD-L ] gun tests, noise sensivitity, long again

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:34:11 -0700 (PDT)

Dexter is noise shy when other dogs around him are.  Kit was horrified at any
loud noise.  He is no longer with us, he had cancer.  Liddy is shy of man made
noises, thunder not so much, but she is not without concern.

  I don't let dogs like this off lead if there is a chance that such a noise
would happen, in other words, without a good fence they are not loose, that's
all.

  I did breed Liddy, to a dog who could care less about noise.  The 2 pups I
have now thought the 4th of July was just another excuse to attack each other.
And in Miami-Dade county there are many legal fireworks sold all over the
place.  Many of my neighbors shoot all sorts of stuff off, for days before and
days after any exucse will do.

  There is construction nearby most of the time, lots of noises from that too.
My pups DON'T CARE.  I plan to keep it that way.  Liddy is a basket case with
man made noises, she has not a prayer of passing a TT.  But for that, she is
sound.  She is protective and loving, civil but not friendly most of the time.
Now and then she meets someone with whom (there it is again Ed) she must become
friends.

  While she was on the road with Pino and later with Bart, she protected them
as her own pack.  Gail, while she was living with them, asked to keep her.  I
love my Liddy to much to give her up, I missed her terribly while she was gone
for 8 months.

  So, cutting out noise shy dogs from breeding programs does not mean the end
of noise shy dogs, her mom did not mind as I understand.  But Liddy has
produced dogs that are not noise shy, so there you have it.

  I am glad I bred her once.  I doubt I will breed her again.  It took too much
from my family and I cannot afford that again, not now.  So maybe the next
bitch will be my big producer, who knows.

  I just wanted to make it clear, as some others have, that while being noise
shy does indeed keep dogs from jobs that require they not be shy of anything,
it does not mean they cannot contribute to the breed, or to the families who
have them.

  The happy family with the wonderful pet has no business letting their dog off
lead in a park setting.  If another dog attacked their dog, there is no way to
catch and control the event.  Both dogs would suffer greatly.  Most
jurisdictions have leash laws that prohibit the total freedom of any dog, so a
GSD surely has no business being let loose in a park, with other dogs you don't
know, kids who may or may not know how to behave around dogs, and people who
could have bad intent for dogs.

  Liddy will never see sheep, I can't do it, so she won't.  Her pups will
likely never see sheep, I can't do it so they won't.  But they will be family
guardians, obedience show dogs, maybe conformation dogs too, and I hope to get
TT's on both of them, as they are so sound.

  Will I try to practice the stations of a TT, you bet I will.  I take them out
when firecrackers are being set off, I walk them in thunderstorms, or at least
when they are close.  I take them places where the people are numorus and
sometimes odd, South Beach is next on my list.  They have been to shopping
centers, pet stores, feed stores, pool stores, the long ride to and from DC,
and at the home of Tish Walker, with her dogs' smells, and much more.

  If I had had Liddy before 7 months, maybe, just maybe, she would be totally
completely sound.  I could not know what she was exposed to at her breeder's,
or at my Mom's for the few weeks she was there before coming here.

  BTW, she was flown down, and I have no clue how that affected her, I don't
fly dogs without a dire need.  At that time, I could not go to DC to get her
and my mom had just been diagnosed with her cancer so she was not about to
drive down here either, she was starting treatment, and could not leave her
home.

  I know that many dogs fly often and don't mind it, but they had to learn to
accept it, and I do not spend my money that way, and I don't trust the airlines
with my dog much.  Now if they could ride in the seat next to me......

  Just my humble opinion on all this.
  sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's