[ SHOWGSD-L ] functional cripples

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:43:03 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/2005 8:25:08 PM Central Daylight Time, Elsyd1@xxxxxxx
writes:
Many of the dogs I remember from 20 years ago were functional cripples. So
extreme they could hardly walk.
-------------------------------
... And many of them were good moving dogs.  I don't see the reasoning behind
attempting to compare the worst from the past to the best from today.  That
wasn't the point at all.  Sure, there were bad dogs twenty years ago.  There
are bad dogs today.  There were breeders then who couldn't have cared less
about
coming and going, as long as the dog was extreme. (I wasn't one of them.)
There are breeders today who couldn't care less if their dog has power.  If you
think one is better than the other, you are merely picking your preference for
one fault over another.

 Of course there were some handsome dogs twenty years ago. I said nothing
that should have implied anything different.  The point was that today,
"pretty"
has become more important than the standard calls for.  The breed in general
is noticeably more handsome today than it was back then, even if there were a
more than a few really handsome dogs back then, like Mannix.  I never had the
pleasure of seeing Mannix move in person, but I have seen video of him.  If
most dogs today moved close to as well, this discussion wouldn't be happening.
We've done a lot to make the breed more appealing to the eye.  We even cleaned
up the movement coming and going.  I think I made that point in my last post.
It is power that we've lost over the years, but that isn't as big a problem
as the fact that so many don't even notice, or seem to care about that loss.
Twenty years ago, some of you were probably thinking the breed will end up
crippled forever.  It didn't ... but that is only because someone noticed the
problem and worked on improvement.

Tom Langlitz