[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: frustrated .... now teeth

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:22:34 -0400

Same here.  At 5 months, one of our boys practically had a complete set of
double teeth.  We called him our little "shark."  <G>  Then, almost all the
baby teeth fell out over a 3 day period.  I was picking up little teeth all
over the place.  Man, do they hurt if you step on one barefoot!

We, too, have had pups retain some baby teeth up to 7 months.  The permanent
teeth came in just fine.  I still say the vet had no business pulling that
pup's teeth when they would have fallen out on their own.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam

From: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx
I agree, when people tell me there puppies have a full mouth before 6  months,
 I still them  don't count your chickens.... Its not over yet..LOL Deb

sablerockgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
teething  until 6-7 months old. I wouldn't be rushing anything at 5 months.
I'd expect  to see baby teeth still working their way out at 5 months  old.

From: Susan Sanchez> To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;  cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Norton AntiSpam][ SHOWGSD-L ] frustrated long vet now teeth HD
> chance
>
> ok i will comment on the puppy teeth that were pulled.

  > since i get the digest i'll answer here and quote the breeder below.
  >
  > i just had a puppy that we imported, have retained puppy teeth in her mouth
past 5 months of age. they were puppy canines on the outside of the lower
canines that prevented them from moving out and one puppy canine behind one
  top adult canine.

  > we had our vet pull them and one lower canine corrected but the one on the
other side did not because the puppy
   top canine made the top adult canine come in milimeters forward that would
only be noticeable if she were on her
   back and you compared both upper canines. anyway this upper blocked the
lower adult canine from moving out.

  > we were faced and still may be with a $1000 root canal. the cost at a
canine dentist was $504 to file the tooth down so it would not impact the
inside of her upper adult canine.

  > he looked at her mouth and determined it is not genetic as everything else
lines up perfectly. he said it was
  absolutely the result of retained puppy teeth.>
  > he said no two teeth in the same spot should be there. the puppy teeth need
to be pulled by 5 months of age.

  > so, in that respect, while this pup was under anesthesia, if there were
retained puppy teeth, extracting them probably was the right thing for the vet
to do.

  > regarding the percent of HD, i believe that the OFA site suggests there is
a 6 or 9% (sorry have not read it for
  many years) chance of HD in any litter out of certified parents. so that is
probably where the vet got that from,
  my guess anyway.

  > the orig post:
  >

  > The puppy was neutered, his baby teeth were pulled, the  fluoride treatment
> given and his hips
  were x-rayed.  That night, Kim got  another frantic call> from the dad...
The vet told the owners that
  there  was a 6% chance that > the puppy was going to develop hip dysplasia
and that  they really
  needed to> watch him.  How the vet came up with the 6% chance  of hip
dysplasia beats me!>