[ SHOWGSD-L ] first time in the ring

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:37:23 -0700 (PDT)

It was so long ago I don't remember the first time, but I do remember the
following:

  A match, tons of puppies from lots of people. I was asked to take a pup for
someone else, I was about 10.  The bitch had never been on lead, it was a class
of 12 pups.

  I was somewhere in the back, the pup was having a fit, screaming and carrying
on because of the lead that stopped her from doing what she wanted.  I just let
her have her fit, thowing herself around at the end of the lead.  After a few
minutes she just gave up.  Then we started to work together.  I remember
thinking she was not really all that good a pup, quality wise, but I could do
my best.

  The judge thought otherwise and gave us 3rd out of 12.  I was dumbfounded,
but happy for the breeder.

  Later, a year or so, I took a Jimmy daughter into Novice Junior's, back when
you only needed on 1st to move to Open.  Old Dominion back when it was a very
big show, I took 2nd in Open that day with the only GSD in the ring.  Young
tears of joy for some time.  I was so much younger than the handler I beat!!!!

  The first time as an adult, I felt like a 12 year old kid.  It took about 6
times in the ring to get over feeling like a child amoung adults.  Alas, then
the back gave out and no more for me.  I do miss handling.
  sheila

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training