[ SHOWGSD-L ] ending my program

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:20:09 -0800 (PST)

I have said before, I grew up with great GSD's and my mom tried to breed
champions for several years.  The quality was there, but other things got in
the way and we never got our champion back then.

  Five years ago, my Rottie bitch died and I got a Seger 1/2 sister that I love
dearly.  She got 8 points, no majors.  Bad timing, showing too much too young
and wasting my money, and life got in the way of finishing her.

  I bred her to as much of an outcross as I could come across.  And yet I had
this nagging feeling. From 4 months old I looked at my Bucko boy and wondered
what was wrong.

  Now I know, he has lupus.  As this is a genetic illness, it is apparent that
I cannot breed the dam, or any of the pups.  So there is not point in showing
them either, now is there?

  As a result of this, coming on top of these dogs being some of the most
expensive I have ever experienced until this diagnoses, I am calling it quits
while I am behind.

  I will not seek to own any more show dogs nor will I breed what I have.  This
is the ethical thing to do.  I may now and then put one of the girls in, till I
spay them, but I will not breed any.  There is just no point.

  And, I expect that by the time I am in a position to consider another dog, I
will not be up for another GSD.  So I will instead make some dog shows happen
for the rest of you.  I will do as I did this past weekend, make it happen and
watch everyone else have fun.

  This I will do as long as I feel I can be at a show and not cry for not being
able to compete.  But I know this to be for the best for me and my family.  It
is a careful decision, not one made lightly at all.

  I will continue to be part of the list a little while longer, but I plan to
set no mail for a good while and take care of other things.  I will be back
near the National as I will begin plugging for the January Florida shows and
then for the Miami and Ft Lauderdale shows.

  I will be here for a bit more, I want to see some of these threads through,
then I am going to check out for a bit.
  sheila

The fish are biting.