[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ears - yeast infection

  • From: "Cindy C" <cindycarolec@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:15:47 -0700

I've used a product called MALOTIC, with active ingredients Gentamycin
Sulfate, Betamethasone Valerate, & Clotrimazole, for yeasty ears and been
pleased with its quick and reliable effectiveness.

One bottle , which is used in an incident for 10 days, seems to last a VERY
long time also, and so has proven cost effective. It is focussed on clearing
the yeast overgrowth and any infection, rather than just cleaning as other
medicines somteimes only do.

It's wise in addition to focus on PREVENTION of ear infections/yeast
overgrowth, and hence the cause of the problem as well.  Dogs that
frequently have ear infections, yeasty ears, or ears that are red inside &
hot to the touch are often presenting signs of FOOD ALLERGY. I would hope
everyone on this list already is aware of this, but I'll state it here just
in case anyone is not.

Therefore, it is important to consider a diet change, looking at both food &
treats. A diet allergy can be confirmed through challenge testing, that is,
feeding a different food (preferably limited diet, such as one novel protein
source/one novel carb source, such as cottage cheese & rice) and then
challenging the dog with the former food that was suspected to have been a
problem. I found a chicken meat allergy in one of my GSDs this way -- and at
the time I actually had never heard of a dog having a chicken allergy!

Often this will completely get rid of ear issues -- which, in eliminating
recurrences, not only makes the dog more comfortable and gets rid of ear
odor & gunky ears, but reduces the scary chance of *permanent* ear damage
that can happen from repeat ear infections and/or reactions to  medications
(which can range from permanent black spotting i& reddening inside the ear
to deafness!) and overtaxing the immune system with chromic inflammation &
infection.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Cindy

>Does anyone have any useful remedys or have experience with what are the
>best medications for yeast infection in the ears . I have a year old puppy
>that has one that we have not been able to get completely rid of . It is
>down deep in one ear now . The other seems to be ok . I am hoping that we
>can get it gone without having to put him under anesthesia and clean them .
>Connie

Experience the magic of the holidays. Talk to Santa on Messenger.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/santabot/default.aspx?locale=en-us