[ SHOWGSD-L ] dogs and kids, my story

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:47:15 -0700 (PDT)

We got our 'fist' GSD through the paper.  He was being dumped by the
people that had bought him from a 'breeder', I use quotes, because he was
a mutt GSD of no pedigree whatever, I checked.

  We were in our late 20's, both worked.  He had to learn to be alone
in the crate for the 10 hours we were gone.  Well! Let me tell you, that
was the reason they got rid of him.  He had very bad seperation
anexity.  We fixed that with a combination of obedience classes and a
catostophic event.  We set him up as though we were leaving, and my husband
hid.  He snuck up on the dog when the fit started.  Art picked up the
crated and shook it.  That stopped Ari in his tracks.

  I know it seems dire, but it worked.  The dog realized that we were
there even when we were not there.  Within 3 months the crate was stowed
in a closet and the dog was great!

  We had taken him from a home with 2 out of control toddlers who
torchured the poor dog.  When our kids came home from the hospital with me,
each time, Ari went into depression.  But he came out of it when
neither kid ever bothered him as before.

  He was never a fan of the kids, however, when we moved to the single
family home and got the swingset in the backyard, the kids could not
play unless Ari was there to watch them.  He would stay away from them,
but with no fence to speak of, he would lay in the grass, in the shade
where he could be seen from the road and get away fromt he kids if the
got too close.

  He would greet them when they got off the bus from school, and run
away inside the house.

  He was a true GSD.  He made his decisions, he honored his breed.  He
even taught Dexter all his bad habits that are here today.

  Ari was not from champion lines, but he was balanced and moved well
for what he was.  He lived to 11 1/2.  His death was, for better or for
worse, timely.  I was able to replace the ugly carpet in the basement
where he spent most of his time so I could sell that house and move to
Miami.

  Ari is still missed, and Dexter is 8 now.  Time marches on.

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

countries) for 2¢/min or less.