[ SHOWGSD-L ] different degrees of bad temp

  • From: "Anja Heibloem-Stroud" <Anja_Heibloem-Stroud@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsdlistnew" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 11:25:59 -0800

Different degrees of bad temperament:
 Noise and object shy:  A sudden noise or a picture falls off the wall,
and the dog is skittish about these things.  Goes or stays?   This dog may not
have been socialized, and with proper exposure and training could be fine. This
is not always genetic.  Ei, a dog sold and just ignored in the back yard.  I
would give him / her a chance!
Shy:  This dog is shy around strangers and runs and hides when they come
in the house.  Goes or stays? SEE ABOVE as the same things apply.

Fear biter:  This dog is shy and fearful of people.  He won't come over
to the stranger, but if he's approached will back away and if cornered
will try to bite.  Goes or stays? Usually a problem that I wouldn't keep, but
these dogs can sometimes find a single person home where they can do well.

Aggressive:  No one but the owner can get near him.  This dog is not
afraid of people; he goes after them without being provoked.  Goes or
stays?   Gee, one of those alpha dogs who's owner has let him be a ass! To the
extreme!  If this is a young dog he with proper handling could be a great dog!
BUT the owner/handler has to be absolutely the ALPHA! The average person could
not handle a dog like this, and someone who could may not want to.  I've dealt
with dogs like this coming from rescue and have manage to convince the dog that
it was a lot safer to be good.

Unpredictable Aggression:  Sometimes he's fine with his owner and then
there are times he growls at her and she wonders if he'd go after her.
Goes or stays?  This is usually a genetic type of behavior. One that I would
put to sleep ASAP. I wonder if a dog like this doesn't have seizures or other
strange brain activity.

Anja Heibloem-Stroud
www.pet-net.net/hausmekon/