[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: coats

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Dir@xxxxxxxxxx, ALL4MORIAH@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:33:33 -0700

How right Carolyn is... I have a wonderful example of just that - many yrs
ago I had a litter of 5 pups.. 3 long coats. One of the males went on to be
the Canadian MV in 1995. anyway, a local breeder bred her bitch to him 3
times.. not a long coat in the bunch (almost 20 puppies). We always assumed
he carried the LC gene and that her bitch did not.. then she bred her to a
different male.. 12 pups and (I think) 4 or 5 long coats!!! When she told me
I told her she was lying.. there was no way it could have been her bitch
with the LC gene - but there it was.. my male never produced a long coat,
even though the odds were that he should have..

the only way to know for sure is to breed to a long coat.