[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: clubs folding and Futurity counts

  • From: Grace Eaton <zgrace_grace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SHOW-L <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:10:59 -0700 (PDT)

You have made alot of good points and ideas for meeting places etc... As far as
the shows go. My 8 yr old daughter, Allison, did NOT like dog
shows...UNTIL....Houston had thier Fun Match and Jr. Handler class. I let her
take a firend and they had a blast. They were also happy there were a few other
kids there to play with and be in the Fun Match with. Then San Antonio had
thier Fun Match where my daughter brought a friend and they handled a couple of
puppies. Then, Austin had thier Fun match where, again, my daughter brought a
friend and they handled a couple of puppies. Now, my daughter LOVES the shows.
But not the handling so much??? Still working on this

  .This last weekend at the San Antonio show, we brought along her little
cousin for her to play with. When we first got htere and set up, Allison didn't
want to play with her cousin but watch the show! I was thirlled. But honestly,
for me, it was hard to watch because the kids were a distraction. I don't want
to sound like a bad mom or anything but I wanted to watch the show too!!! All
in all I did get to watch some of the show! LOL!

  Maybe, we people who have kids, could get all the kids together and take
turns or shifts or a few activity times.... one a day, two a day.... where we
watch the kids. Maybe we could get a handler to do a handlers class with a
puppy or two, play a few games. Water balloon toss on a hot spring day.
Coloring pages on the standard.GSD. Dog related, of course. It's all out in the
open, safe. It's our kids, so if we group them together and let them have some
fun with each other, they will be more inclined to want to go to the next show.
If we take turns watching the kids then we will get to see more of the show and
still have our family with us and want to be there. Everybody's happy!
  Grace Eaton
Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    All club bylaws would have to allow internt meetings, of some sort for this
suggestion to work.

  Moving meetings to different locations can help, as it can be moved closer to
some members for some meetings.

  We host in member's homes, thus allowing some of us to travel short
distances, and some no distance at all.

  We also make sure there is something to eat at the meetings so no one is so
hungry that they leave early, or show up late.

  Dog and child care are big issues, especially, if like me, the parents
believe in a set bed time.  Phone conferencing might help that too.

  Also, some clubs do not hold monthly meetings, rather they hold meetings as
needed to get club business taken care of.  So that members with time issues
are trying to solve them constantly and thus giving up.

  Once the human kids are old enough, this becomes less of a problem.  I can
call home and tell my kids to go to bed NOW, they know better than to argue
with me. But I was not in a position until the past several years when they got
old enough. And even now, it does not always work.

  It is the youngest members that we need the most, and they are the ones with
the biggest logistic issues.

  it would be nice to hear from some lister's with young kids, about what they
can do and what they do well do about these problems. Both for meeting and
shows.

  I know for my next show, I have to bring my entire clan, as my husband will
be out of town at a cycling race.  I will not ask my in-laws, they think I
should not have all these dogs, and I should not put my time into dog shows
when my kids don't want to play sports all the time, I should be forcing them
to play sports and I should be taking them places other than dog shows.

  My kids are not interested in showing, so it is a chore for them to join me,
but I cannot leave them home when I am going more than 50 miles away, and there
is no adult supervision at home.
  Sheila

            Grace Eaton
  Sirius German Shepherds