[ SHOWGSD-L ] chicken "by products"

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 09:40:34 -0800

WHY are people so upset at the thought of by products?  My friend RW (who is
an animal nutritionist and behaviorist) made some very good points. In the
wild, everything that can be consumed by a predator, is.  Eyeballs, brains,
bones, anuses, lips.  The only things left behind are bones that are too
big, and a few clumps of hair.

Paul opines...

In the wild...with a pack...the Alpha male and bitch eat first. They eat gut
and muscle. As the rest of the pack feeds...in pack order...when it gets to
the Omega dog (bottom of the pack)...that dog eats the equivalent of
by-products and is lucky to get any meat at all. The Omega dog always looks
and is in the worst condition of any dog in the pack. The Alpha animals
always are in the best condition and that condition is maintained as you go
down in pack order. Only the fittest and best conditioned animals are
allowed to reproduce.

Chicken By-Product meal is beaks, feet, heads, and feathers not to exceed
10% (AAFCO min requirements). That is not quality protein. Our dogs do not
have to endure the rigors of the wild so they can exist on low quality
protein. It's not the quantity of the protein that causes problems...it's
the quality. In the wild the Alpha animals eat almost a 95% protein diet but
the quality of the protein is excellent.

I say "Shame on the Manufacturers" who use such low quality ingredients and
charge a Premium price. As many of you know...we feed our dogs a raw diet
but some of the geriatric guys get some kibble. We feed Canidae (Human
Grade) but there are other good kibbles. We sell it here at the kennel and
charge $29.95 for a 40 lb. bag. We feed the kennel dogs Kirkland Chicken or
Lamb and Rice we get at Costco for $15 for a 40 lb. bag. It is manufactured
by Diamond here locally, but their quality control is very good. It's truly
a shame they've had the recent problems as I consider Diamond one of the
most reputable companies around. They tell the truth on their labels and
don't try and bait and switch like some of the other manufacturers.

I do have a real problem with by-products because they are not good for our
dogs. It's so easy to feed a quality diet to your animals that is by-product
free.

JMO...as always...

Paul