[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: breeding inthis economy

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dan-ann@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 05:33:32 -0800 (PST)

That is the 64 thousand dollar problem!! While I am sure that in a perfect
world, we would hope that ALL our puppy buyers would contact us if they fall on
financial hard times...there is always the possibility that they would feel
awkward calling and alternatively drop a pup at the shelter hoping that he/she
would get adopted or place a free ad on Craigslist..that is constantly scanned
by the Class B dealers. There were two 1 year old purebred GSDs that look to be
very well bred who were put down this morning in Kentucky. Another, (who
THANKFULLY was adopted) in Rome Georgia....another purebred in obvious need of
a meal and a bath in a shelter in Estill county Kentucky whose time is up
today...she is only a year old.
I personally receive at least ONE email or phone call each day from someone who
has lost their job or their home and has to surrender their dog. My first
question to them is "where did you purchase the dog"....and if it was a
breeder, I recommend they contact the breeder first. I have even offered to
speak to the breeder personally.  Most people seem surprised at this
recommendation. They are never happy with my second...that if they cannot find
a rescue to commit to the dog or are unable to successfully rehome their
companion, do the animal a favor and have it humanely euthanized themselves.
There are alot of things worse than death...being sold into a laboratory by a
class B dealer (some labs are paying as much as 300$ for a dog...when people
have families to feed and no money, they are pushed to do some pretty
reprehensible things) or used as a bait dog (we have seen many of these) or
brought to a shelter only to be gassed in terror (owner surrenders
 are the first to be destroyed as no one is looking for them..they are not
required to hold them), to name a few scenarios. Some people are making the
decision to abandon their pets in the woods, thinking mistakenly that the
dog/cat has a better chance of survivial than in a shelter as was the case here
in Massachusetts! One state forest was found to be a dumping ground for more
than 50 dogs...one of which was a GSD. These poor creatures are defenseless
against the elements and usually end up HBC or predated on by coyotes or
wolves. Massachusetts DOES euthanize animals, but it does so humanely at least.
No IC, IP or Heaven forbid, gas chamber.
My best advice is for the breeder to keep close contact with the puppy buyer.
Make it a point to call them at least every few months and check in. Dont wait
for them to call you....that call may never come. One dog who was placed by a
responsible breeder with a woman ended up in a kill shelter in Tennessee. The
initial party felt the dog was too much for her and gave her to her daughter,
who subsequently gave the dog to a police officer who ended up dumping this dog
(from American show lines) at a kill facility. I was fortunate to have located
this dog before he was euthanized and through medical records, was able to find
his breeder who contacted the shelter and offered to take him back. At that
point, he had already been adopted...we can only hope to a home where his life
was not lived on a chain in a mud pit. The breeder was beside herself...she had
done everything right and STILL the dog ended up in a shelter.
Maybe we could consider microchipping  everything  and listing OUR information
before it leaves our home. Even with that, many of the poorer shelters do not
have a scanner. Tattooing in the ear is useless as the Class B dealers just cut
the ears off. You would have to do it on an inner thigh.
No job is recession proof...no family is free from the danger of divorce or
death...we can only
do our best to research the people who we sell these precious babies to and
stay close enough to avert a potential disaster. No small task, to be sure...
Dawn
Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven
Donations may be made to: