[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: another dog bite

  • From: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:22:45 EDT

In a message dated 04/25/2007 10:54:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> A Pit Bull with training will not bite unless provoked by stimulus.

Shiela,

For some dogs with a high prey drive and a predisposition to bite, the simple
presence of a person at the right place, right time can BE the stimulus
!!!!!!!
I know you consider yourself to be a great dog trainer but I assure you from
years and years of experience working with dogs that all biters are NOT made
by humans. All dogs do not start out with sweet, non-aggressive personalities.
I agree some ARE bred by humans to have that predisposition but once they have
it, you cannot just get rid of it. You can modify it some if you get the dog
at a young enough age, you can control it with constant supervision of the
animal by it's control factor (owner/trainer/whatever) but otherwise it should
be
confined 100% of the time.
There is no excuse for dogs that attack innocent people with the intent to do
bodily harm.
None. I would not make excuses if it were one of my own and I won't sit by to
see people blamed for bad dogs as a generalization.
I don't know the specifics of this case but unless the woman invaded the
dog's 'confined'
territory, she was an innocent victim. The owners definitely should be held
accountable since the dog was obviously running loose but the dog had a choice.
The follow-up attack was most certainly prey-driven. No excuse.

lynda

Lynda Bragg-Workman
Gene Workman
Falkrigia - Where Dual Titles are Expected !!
Check out our websites for constantly updated info and pictures
www.falkrigiashepherds.com
www.thecraftywoodchuck.com

 See what's free at http://www.aol.com.