[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: all breed / specialty

  • From: Schipstar@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:44:48 EDT

In a message dated 7/7/2005 5:53:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Pinehillgsds
writes:
I'm sure there's a lot more; somebody else's turn....
Hi Kathy,
I want to thank you for giving me really, the most concise answer of any so
far!
I am happy to hear that a really good dog WILL win in either "venue" because
in my mind's eye, that's how it should be!   A dog who meets a breed standard
as closely as possible SHOULD win in both rings, and GSDs should be no
different in this respect than any other breed.  I'd hate to feel that I had a
dog
that was so inferior in some areas that it couldn't possibly compete in one
ring
or the other, this is actually very worrisome to me.

I'm almost starting to get the impression that a lot of GSD folks think that
an "all rounder" judge is incapable of properly interpreting the GSD standard.
 If this is the case, then maybe the standard isn't written clearly enough,
and maybe it DOES need to be redone, in order to more clearly explain exactly
WHAT a GSD should look like and behave like, so that there is no difference in
a specialty or all breed GSD.

One of my favorite judges of all times is Marian Hoddeson (SP?).  I believe
she is/was a GSD person?  She is also a wonderful judge of other breeds,
including schips.  She is a truly GREAT all-rounder.  Why shouldn't any other
all
rounder be capable of being just as good a judge as she?

With reference to the "temperament test" thing, the fact is, all dog shows
have their own built in "temperament tests".  Standards describe the
temperaments of the breeds, and so it's one of the "qualities" that should be
considered
when judging each dog.  Without going into details, if a dog doesn't have the
"correct temperament" for his/her breed, that's just as serious (if not almost
more so) a fault as a bad bite, wrong coat color, etc.

From what you said, it actually sounds to me as if the "all breed" dog is a
better balance of all things, not just picking on individual preferences so
much, but taking into consideration the overall package.  I would hope that any
time any of us show a dog, it's at their peak condition, and it would be the
dog that we feel best represents the breed as a whole, and doesn't just cater
a "movement fanatic", a "tooth fairy", a "head hunter", etc.

I know that I will hopefully be able to start showing my young bitch a bit as
a youngster, just to give her the ring experience and socialization, but I
wouldn't seriously try to "start" her until she's mature enough, and in good
enough condition, to represent all her good qualities as best as she is capable
of doing.

I'm beginning to think that I must prefer the "all breed" dog, as that dog
sounds as if in fact, it is the most "balanced" of the two, where all things
are
considered.

Thank you again for taking the time to educate!

Lynn

Lynn Brown - Ebonystar Schipperkes/Angelsgate Rescue
http://www.angelsgaterescue.com/ & http://www.schipperkerescue.com/
Post Office Box 92283 - Long Beach, CA 90809 (562) 428-9832
...special dogs for special people since 1972