[ SHOWGSD-L ] a reply to Jimmy's email

  • From: Linda Bankhead <lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 18:11:14 -0400

Many of you are not on the FB page.
Here is my reply:

Jimmy; only a few people mentioned a conspiracy.   You mention this a good
bit; just so you know the majority of the people who posted have not said
or implied this.  I would say 98% have not made statements inferring The
BOD was doing this.

2012 White GSD Obedience Victor.  I will defer to the Obedience Chair Dawn
VanDyken who can address the award.  Suffice to say she quit as obedience
chair and has outlined what happened.

The $36 reduced membership has been heavily discussed at length on this
forum.  That is because the White GSDC International Club has on their
website “*PLEASE consider joining the German Shepherd Dog Club of America
(GSDCA). They are the parent club for all German Shepherd Dogs regardless
of color. There is a proposal up for membership vote to change the Breed
Standard to take the white GSD out of the disqualification and move it to a
serious fault. This is a step forward for the white GSD!!! We have waited a
long time for this...over 40 years. When you join you will be eligible to
vote in an upcoming vote to make this move. You must be a member and you
must do it soon. If you are already a member, it is imperative that you
vote when your ballot comes. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this. Any questions
you can contact me or any member of the WGSDCI board. We will help you.
Financial aid for those who qualify.” ( The financial aid to those who
qualify was the ringer. )*

*Indeed many have brought up your name.  That is because the January 2013
BOD meeting minutes state “Jim suggested to include white German Shepherd
Dogs in this discussion.”  The facts are the facts; so yes you are
accountable for this action. To my knowledge nobody has t*aken this out of
context, or twisted it.  You added the White GSD to the long coat
discussion.

I can appreciate the fact that the White GSD clubs have been lobbying the
GSDCA for years. But if it’s not a good idea to begin with why would you
entertain it?

The board members role clearly states: “It is the responsibility of The
Board of Directors to orchestrate the development of activities which
result in the PRESERVATION, IMPROVEMENT, AND ENHANCEMENT of The German
Shepherd Dog.”   How does changing whites from a DQ to a serious fault fit
into this?  You sent to the membership to decide; but the question is why
did you let it get to this point?  The ultimate question is:  How will the
changes to our Standard improve our breed?

You also mentioned disenfranchised.  I feel disenfranchised. The members
voted in 2013 and the message was clear; we did not support whites.  In
October 2013 The AKC approved Changes to our Standard. In April 2013
approved again and sent to AKC for approval.  In May 2014 AKC published
approved. That Standard has not been shared with the membership via the
GSDCA website, AKC Review, Constant Contact, The GSDCA FB page.  The long
coat, nose color, liver and blue issue has never been for people to discuss
pro/con.  I am not saying you are responsible for the complete lack of
communication; but The BOD is.

So the question is:  How will these changes to our standard improve the
breed? Not ONE BOD has answered this.

I, like you, care about this breed, which is the ONLY reason I created the
FB page.  I appreciate your posting and your thoughts.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html