[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why should you join the GSDCA - Written By D.D. Ardoin and Joan Fox

  • From: DKARLOFF@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:25:19 EDT

THE GERMAN  SHEPHERD DOG CLUB OF AMERICA
FOUNDED IN 1913
WHY SHOULD YOU BECOME A MEMBER?
When you read the purpose of  the GSDCA, printed below, as  stated in its
first Constitution and  current By-Laws, then you will understand why you
should
join us.  We are a group dedicated to our breed  and to our Club and its
continued status as the NUMBER ONE German Shepherd Dog  organization recognized
by
the American Kennel Club (AKC) and the World Union  Organization of German
Shepherd Dogs. (WUSV)  If you are 18 years old or older and in  good standing
with the AKC, your next step is to learn more by joining the  GSDCA.
THE  PURPOSE OF JOINING
To encourage, promote and improve the breeding of quality  purebred German
Shepherd Dogs, to educate the fancy and to do all that is  possible to bring
the
natural qualities of the German Shepherd Dog to  perfection.
To urge members and breeders to accept the Standard of  the breed as approved
by the AKC as the only standard of excellence by which the  German Shepherd
Dog shall be judged.
To do all in its power to protect and advance the  interests of the Breed by
encouraging  sportsmanlike competition at dog shows, performance events and
tracking  tests.
To aid with every possible means to demonstrate the  German shepherd Dogs
conspicuous abilities to better serve mankind as a  companion, war, Search and
Rescue, police, drug and explosive detection,  security, herding and guide dog
to the blind.
To conduct dog shows, performance trials including  obedience, rally,
herding, etc., under the rules of the American Kennel Club and  to publish
literature
and periodicals in the best interest of the
German Shepherd Dog.
We, as members, tackle difficult health problems, debate  structure of dogs,
discuss upcoming events, share in the excellence of a new  litter and comfort
each other as a dog passes.  Each member contributes a unique insight  so that
our breed can continue to move forward.  The GSDCA provides a venue that
allows  breeders, owners, handlers and judges to contribute freely any
information
 relevant to the breed.  It is  through a conglomeration of ideas that you,
the new member, will formulate your  plan for the betterment of the breed we so
dearly  love.
YOUR MEMBERSHIP IMPACTS THE FUTURE OF THE BREED
As the 100th Anniversary of our Club nears, we  are striving to promote our
dogs even further and therefore are working as a  group to adhere to these
lofty ideals.  Join us in this endeavor!
The yearly National Specialty show is the main showcase  for the variety of
abilities of the German Shepherd Dog.  It is a celebration on many levels.
Along with Confirmation, the additions  of other venues such as Obedience,
Rally,
Tracking, Herding and Temperament  Certification engage members and their
dogs in positive interaction.  The Working Dog sport under the auspices  of the
AKC is an exciting new event starting with the 2007 National Specialty  Show.
Members look forward with great anticipation to the  National and the series
of preceding Regional Futurity and Maturity shows that  showcase breeders and
the dogs they have produced.
National recognitions for the various awards available to  be earned by our
members are part of the  ceremonies.
Various committees of the GSDCA are devoted to the health  and welfare of our
breed.  The  Canine Health Foundation, of which the GSDCA was a founding
member Parent Club,  and the American German Shepherd Charitable Foundations
were
organized to fund  health research issues.
The American German Shepherd Rescue Association (AGSRA)  is a viable link to
local rescue groups with a grant  program.
Starting in 2006 a new committee was formed to aid the  membership in
opposing the anti-breeder, breed specific and other legislation  and
organizations
inconsistent with the best interests of the GSDCA.  The name of the committee
is
Responsible  Animal Legislative Education Effort Federation (RALEEF).  Member
involvement through this  committee will become of more importance in the
years  ahead.
The future of this Club lies with its young people and  their continued
involvement.  Therefore, we have an active Juniors program, for anyone under
the
age of  18, with ongoing educational rewards.  A Junior membership in the GSDCA
is also  available.
The German Shepherd Dog Review is a prestigious and award  winning
publication that you will receive each month with your membership.  Various
issues
spotlight different  aspects of our dog`s talents, along with articles and
stories
that serve to  educate the fancy.  The beautiful  dogs advertised, many in
color, are an ongoing history of the  breed.
There are myriads of people who love the German Shepherd  Dog and are looking
for mentorship, friendship and a sense of belonging.  The GSDCA is the guild
for this  group.  It can provide the links to  connect the fanciers to form a
chain of support and common interest dedicated to  the preservation of the
breed we hold so close to our  hearts.