[ SHOWGSD-L ] Whites- how it was explained to me

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 20:03:35 +0000 (UTC)

 In essence,it would be changing the standard back to what it used to be.

  In the Nicholas gsd book, there is a portrait of two champion solid "cream"
colored bitches owned by Giralda kennels. You might find it also interesting
that a top winning Ch. GSD purchased by Langdon Skarda was a blue, named
Hoobin's Gray Boy. Also, back in the day, unilateral cryptorchids could be
shown, one was a top producing Cocker. I am ambivilent about the subject, but
we changed the standard to disqualify whites and we changed our standard to
"noses that are not predominately black" so that blues, livers, etc could not
be shown either.  The AKC disqualified monorchids in all breeds. The breeders
of white GSD's have their own shows, their own National,etc, they do their own
thing anyhow and have been doing it since they were told that the color would
be disqualified years ago. I do believe that whites should be bred true. I do
not prescribe to the notion that if the sire and dam are b/t and produce a
white that it should  be registrable. That could be likened to registering a
mixed breed, since they are now two separate breeds. You can't have it both
ways. Somethings might have to be grandfathered in, until the white gsd can
breed true with no b/t appearing in the pedigree. In closing I do not prescribe
to the notion that GSD's are GSD's no matter what color. There is a standard
for a reason. It would be like saying that deliberately breeding miniature,
piebald, long-coated GSD's are still GSD's. At some point you can get so far
away from the standard that it is no longer what the breed was intended to be.
In the end the goal is to breed as close to the standard as possible, not as
far away from it as possible. C