[ SHOWGSD-L ] What would increase entries?

  • From: "Evan Ginsburg" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "elg440@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:30:56 -0500

Ed raises some good points.  I don't agree that you improve the breed by
"lowering the bar", (getting rid of majors, or giving points to Reserve), but
it would make dog shows more fun.  I don't see anything wrong with making more
champions, and letting more people have more fun.

I know a lot of people want it to be harder to finish a dog, thinking that
somehow that makes it more valuable. But, let's face it, there is nothing noble
or honorable about a champion. This whole activity of showing dogs is for our
pleasure, and if something makes it more fun, I say go for it.

As for Juniors, I think they should pay us to show our dogs.  After all, we are
training them, giving them an opportunity to learn how to handle a dog, and
letting them into our sport. It would also teach those kids what real life is
like, and that you don't get anything for free. I say, toughen them up.  Teach
them a lesson, and make sure they know how important we are, and appreciate
that we allow them to hang with us adults.  Then when they turn 18, they can
charge those other Junior Handlers to learn all we have taught them.  What a
great life lesson that would be.  Also, we could make it a obligation that when
they turn 18, they have to drive us to dog shows, bring us food, and read the
small print in the catalogues to us.  Let's give them the understanding and
more meaning to life for us. After all, there has to be an advantage to living
this long.

Wisdom is over rated, and when you combine it with massive memory loss, it has
no advantage.

Evan