[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What to do... gassy dogs

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: CagGra@xxxxxxx, VSabiaB@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:20:06 EDT

Clap, clap, clap, clap!

I'm so sorry Penny for the loss of you gal.

I read what Vicki does re. gas-x before training class w/ her  dog. (Honey,
I'd tack that guy!)

If you look in my medicine cabinet in the kitchen, you'll find cherry
flavored Mylanta liquid.  Ditto the front of the van.

It sucks having to live w/ this kind of fear:(  I've lost sleep  over
bitches in to be bred who gulped their food....I lose sleep when a dog  barfs
up
clear liquid after eating grass...reach for the Mylanta....

I have a litter of puppies leaving this week and for the first time ever I
put a blip in the puppy packet  about bringing up tacking at the time of
spaying/neutering.  Spare me the holier-than-thou-good-of-the-breed
speeches.  These are, except for one, going to pet homes, children's  dogs.  I
think
I've done right breeding away from it, but I can't find a 4  generation
pedigree w/o it....

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds

In a message dated 6/30/2009 4:05:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
caggra@xxxxxxx writes:

The  Veterinarians at Ohio State stated that bloat/torsion is breed
specific  (GSD's, Great Danes etc.) because of the way these breeds are built -
deeper  obdominal cavities?? ? However, they also stated that within those
breeds  there are most certainly lines that have a higher rate of occurance and
that  environmental factors can pull the trigger on those pre-disposed to it
through  their genes?
I still hear some people talk about bloat & torsion as if  it is not at all
connected to genetic make-up
Of course, then again, Elvis  may still be alive too!???? :)?

Jeff