[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What never to feed.......

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 02:21:08 GMT

I thought you all might find this information about chocolate toxicity in dogs
interesting.  Some sites give differing amounts of Theobromine for milk
chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate and baker's chocolate but they're all close.
"Are some chocolates more toxic than others?  Yes. Unsweetened (baker's)
chocolate contains 8-10 times the amount of Theobromine as milk chocolate.
Semi-sweet chocolate falls roughly in between the two for Theobromine content.
White chocolate contains Theobromine, but in such small amounts that
Theobromine poisoning is unlikely. Caffeine is present in chocolate, but less
than Theobromine.
Quick Guide for Theobromine levels in different types of chocolate:
From The Merck Veterinary Manual, 8th ed
Unsweetened (Baker's) chocolate = 390-450 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate Milk
chocolate = 44-60 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate
Semi-sweet is a bit less than half of the Theobromine content as Baker's
chocolate."
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/nutritiondogs/a/chocolatetoxici.htm
The link below has a chart of how much chocolate it takes to be toxic in a 50
pound dog:
"Milk chocolate has 44mg/oz (154mg/100gm): toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 50 oz of
milk chocolate.
 Semisweet chocolate has 150 mg/oz (528mg/100gm): toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 15
oz of semisweet chocolate
 Baking chocolate 390mg/oz (1365 mg/100gm): toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 5 oz of
baking chocolate"
http://www.kc.net/~wolf2dog/chocolate.htm
Gayle & the Hooligans!
Ringer-Honey-Kelly-Mac-Slider-Bruiser
Waiting at the Bridge:
Andy-Abbey-Tasha-Tex-Echo-Yukon-JR-Too-Niki-Bo
-- barbarar <domara4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think a lot of these so called chocolate snacks are more coloring and
fake taste than anything.   But, not being a nutritionist or a know it
all, I guess I cant really speak one way or the other.
Barbara