[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What is the Policy and Procedure Manual?

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RFWFORGSD@xxxxxxx, gsprock@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:24:10 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Dick for the information. I have a question for you. How is the P&P
changed. What is the process? Does it take approval of the membership?
  Terry
RFWFORGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
      As a member of the Board at the time the Policy and Procedures manual was
initiated I can tell you that is one of the most important documents of any
organization.  Composed of the actions taken at prior board meetings it
prevents, as so eloquently  described by initiator Sam Lawrence, the board from
"Sawing Sawdust"

  As I recall, Sam Lawrence as the new president at the time commissioned the
policy and procedures manual, and I believed worked closely with other board
members involved to research and compile all prior actions of the Board into a
single, comprehensive document.  After review of the initial document by the
complete board, it became the first issue of the Policy and Procedures manual.
In Roberts Rules of order such a document is known as the Standing Orders of
the Organization.  Every  board member carried their copy to  board meetings
and used it as a reference when discussing a new policy on any topic.

  As I recall, Ted Beckhardt became the Policy and Procedures chair, and with
the help of the then Review Editor, Lois Fryslin, reviewed the minutes of each
meeting and diligently published updates to the Policy and Procedures manual
after each meeting.  For some time any member could obtain a copy of the P&P
manual and also for a fee, subscribe to the quarterly updates provided by Ted.

  I do not know the status of the current Policy and Procedures Manual, perhaps
Helen Fisher or Gail Sprock with their continued involvement and knowledge of
the club since those days could also comment about what has transpired since
the Ted retired from the job.

  In short, a complete and accurate Policy and Procedures manual is critical to
the efficient operation of the Board, and is a history of all prior actions of
the board. Roberts Rules describes the revelance and use of Standing Orders.

  Dick Whalen
  Eleven years a Board Member