[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What is DJD

  • From: Luanne Crinklaw <silvermoongsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:06:46 -0700 (PDT)

Patty,
  I sure do believe that it gets progressively worse with time. Kolby has grade
2 and has gotten worse in the last 2 years since retiring him. Now since he has
been favoring the elbow with the DJD for so long, his carpal bones are starting
to break down. He is on constant pain meds and in hydro therapy to keep him
from totally breaking down.
  Luanne

  In everything I have read on DJD/osteoarthritis go hand in hand.  I
  have
osteoarthritis/DJD I have had a hip replaced and now need both knees
  replaced,
trust me if a dog has  true (inheritable)  DJD like I have  they would
be
limping, and the progression of the disease does not stop.
Below is a article on DJD from the Purina One website...its very good.

What is degenerative joint disease (DJD)
Degenerative joint disease is characterized by the loss of the smooth
cartilage that covers and protects the end of the bones in a movable
(synovial)
joint. The cartilage has no nerves so when it touches the cartilage of
another
bone, there is no pain. When the cartilage wears away, the bone is
exposed. The
bone does have nerves so when the two bone ends in a joint touch each
other
it  results in pain and inflammation. In degenerative joint disease we
also
see  small bony projections (osteophytes) form on the bone that is
close to the
joint. This adds to the pain.
Degenerative joint disease is progressive, meaning it continues to get
  worse