[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: What about the North East

  • From: SUSAN SULLIVAN <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:23:20 -0800 (PST)

The weather is LOVELY in October in New England,New York, Penna, and New
Jersey.  Spectacular actually.    Sites are very much available as we  hold
some huge dog events here in the North EAst. Many National Specialties are held
here. There is the Eastern States Exposition in Springfield MA.  The Collie
National was there last year.  Drew over 900 entries in Conformation, had
herding, agility, obedience etc.  The Thanksgiving Cluster of shows there is
one of the largest shows in the country often with close to 4000 dogs entered
in the conformation and obedience.  That does not count the six ring agility
trials that are going on in conjunction. Then there is the Pennsylvania Farm
Show.  This is outside of Harrisburg.  The Cherry Blossum circuit starts there
in April and it is a big set of shows.  I'm sure there is something comprable
to it in NYState as well.

Why have we never looked at Springfield?  Got me!  NEw England is a big area
for herding and tracking as well as agility and dog shows.  We haven't held
herding on site for years, except the last Perry and it didn;t go real well
that year.

Susan

Msg: #9 in digest
From: "irrenhaus4"
Subject: Re: What about the Northeast?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:30:50 -0800

I imagine the fact that there has not been a Northeast National for ages is
because of the time of year, and the risk of bad weather?

I do remember some kind of Union trouble in Philadelphia, wasn't it?
Someone said at that time that it was difficult to find a facility that did
not require its own personnel be used and paid. Also, with all the extra
things we now require of our National site, are there large venues available
in the Northeast that would be suitable? Space for Obedience, Agility,
Herding, Tracking, Conformation (note the second "o") and Schutzhund is not
too easy to find, and I understand we are adding Rally this year. Quite an
order. We sure need more than just a pretty park for "The Big Show". Doris
Estabrook

Susan w. Sullivan
Firethorn Farm
German Shepherd Dogs