[ SHOWGSD-L ] Westminster Dog Show Winner Interview

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <news@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:31:36 -0800

Today Ross McGowan from Mornings On 2 interviewed the color guy from USA and
the Westminster KC Best In Show Colored Bull Terrier's handler. It was nice
puff piece with congratulations and the handler's statement that Rufus was a
"blue collar dog".
Well...Rufus could not live in San Francisco, LA, or many other cities in CA,
the US, and Canada. Rufus is "persona non gratta' because he is a "Pit Bull
LIKE dog" and virtually all such laws are written that way.

While it's a nice story to offer congratulations to Rufus you missed a larger
more important situation that is crossing the State, the US, and Canada like
wildfire.

When CA SB 861 Speier (D) became law this January, it allows any city in
California to create a "Dangerous Dog" classification that also allows the city
to regulate ownership, intact, spay or neuter status, muzzling if off the
property, or how the dog is kept on an owners premises. It's the broadest form
of Breed Specific Legislation that's ever been passed and San Francisco's ban
on Pit Bull's...tomorrow could become Sausalito's ban on Cocker Spaniels. SB
861 was forcefully opposed by Responsible Dog Owners and the Dog Fancy around
the State with the support of Senator Tom McClintock to no avail. It passed the
Democrat controlled Senate & House by just a few votes and our campaign then
turned to the Governor. We requested he veto it yet he did not.

Now LA is moving forward to include Pit Bulls and Rottweiler's in the
"Dangerous Dog" classification and therefore those breeds and their owners will
be subject to "whatever" the City Council approves. The next meeting will be
next Tuesday where many of the States most responsible dog owners will asked to
be heard. When the smoke clears in LA, it is quite likely Rufus, the Best In
Show winner at the most prestigious dog show in America will be 'persona non
gratta' there, too.

Another missing part of this story is who is behind the sudden influx of BSL
and Anti-Breeder legislation? Animal Rights Organization's like Humane Society
for the US, PETA, In Defense of Animals (based in Marin), the Animal Legal
Defense Fund (based in Petaluma), and the Doris Day Animal League have taken a
new tack in their efforts to rid the planet of "Man's Best Friend". Wayne
Pacelle is the President of HSUS and is on record saying he wanted the ARO's to
back over 2000 pieces of Animal Related law in 2006. They also sponsor US SB
1139 Santorum (R) PA that is better known as PAWS (Pet Animal Welfare Statute).
PAWS will radically redefine the term "hobby breeder" and in a few strokes of a
pen, many hobby breeders will find their hobby kennels under the scrutiny and
control of the USDA and APHIS. (Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service) If
PAWS passes, it will immediately be challenged by DDAL saying the number of
dogs and litters listed in PAWS is too large and they will file suit in Federal
Court. There will be literally 1000's of pieces of legislation on the Federal,
State, and Municipal level. ARO's are committed, well financed, and control
cadres of like minded sycophants to do their bidding. HSUS and PETA will take
in over $200 million dollars in donations this year and spend 95% on passing
the Animal Rights Agenda and less than 5% on Animal Welfare. Plank 10 on the
ARA is to Abolish the breeding of companion animals, especially purebred or
pedigreed dogs and cats. The Co-founder of PETA is Ingrid Newkirk and she is on
record having said "The bottom line is that people don't have the right to
breed dogs or cats. If people want toys, they should buy inanimate objects. If
they need companionship they should seek it with their own kind. One day we
will put an end to the breeding of dogs and cats." Wayne Pacelle of HSUS
believes the following: "We have no ethical obligation to preserve the
different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding. ...One
generation and out. We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals.
They are creations of human selective breeding."

Senator Speier and other Legislators of her ilk across the US, Canada, and
Europe are playing right into Mr. Pacelle's hands. You cannot legislate
responsibility...you must educate responsibility. ARO's are for education,
right? Yes but only if it's their minority views in teaching our children about
veganism, Animal Rights, how to eliminate Dog Shows, Rodeo, Zoo's, and the
right of an individual to Hunt or Fish from the planet. You will never hear
them tout "Responsible Pet Ownership 101" as a solution to Senator Speier's
problems that prompted SB 861. If we teach our children, on every level of
education, to be responsible pet owners we would be graduating class after
class and Senator Speier's law would not be needed. People would treat their
animals well, follow leash laws, spay and neuter, and not fall beneath the
radar. Legislation such as this affect the people who are "already" the most
responsible pet owners in the State. They do take care of their animals, obey
leash laws, license their dogs, and sell well bred; healthy puppies on
contracts that require an animal to be spayed or neutered if it's not going to
be shown. Look what education has done in regards to recycling. It began in the
schools and has spread to the point it has created a highly profitable industry.

Some years back I testified before a Legislative Committee in Sacramento re AB
161. The Speaker at that time was Herb Wesson. During one exchange I brought up
the idea of including Responsible Pet Ownership 101 in the States Education
system. He seemed quite taken with the idea but never returned my emails or
letters as I tried to peruse the plan with him. It needs to be done.

I would be delighted to become part of this discussion with Ross on Mornings On
2 or any other venue at KTVU. Some of the best and the brightest regarding this
subject live right here in the Bay Area. Our cry to action is "Educate...don't
Legislate".

Paul Root- Owner
Diablo Kennels
Bay Point, CA 94565

PS- I am also an AKC Judge and sit on the Board of Directors for the German
Shepherd Dog Club of America. The GSDCA has a committee that I chair devoted to
just such matters. Responsible Animal Legislation Educational Effort Foundation
or RALEEF. We are working across the US to educate those in need of education
like Senator Speier. I encourage KTVU to further explore the subjects I touched
upon in this post. Thanks for your ear...Paul

Visit Rivendell on "Da Web" www.diablokp.com