[ SHOWGSD-L ] Vick - A tale of two humane groups...Long

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: show gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:18:07 -0700

I always like seeing the other side.... Stormy
http://www.examiner.com/x-19588-SF-Pet-Care-Scene-Examiner~y2009m8d22-
Vick--A-tale-of-two-humane-groups>

Vick - A tale of two humane groups

August 22, 12:08 PMSF Pet Care Scene ExaminerMarta Williams

Comment

In a recent post I talked about Michael Vick?s new job as anti-
dogfighting spokesperson for the HSUS, a national animal humane group.
While the HSUS is happily promoting Michael Vick as their poster boy,
another top animal humane group,  the ASPSA, had the courage to call
an unreformed dogfighter what he is:  unrepentant and a bad model for
anyone to follow. Vick?s remorse stops at his front door; he pities
his own plight, not that of the dogs he tortured and murdered. The
ASPCA was the first group approached by Vick?s PR representatives, and
they  turned him down. Now, finally, they have released a statement
about this decision,  which is partially quoted below:

After careful consideration, we have decided to speak out now about
Michael Vick because of the special circumstances involving the ASPCA.
Several months ago, Mr. Vick's PR representatives approached the ASPCA
to help educate America about the heinous act of dog fighting
following his release from prison. We were the first animal welfare
organization given the opportunity to work with Mr. Vick but
immediately turned him down due to the unique knowledge we had of his
indescribable and barbaric acts of animal cruelty where he and his
associates savagely electrocuted and beat dogs to death after they
lost their brutal fights.

The ASPCA's general consultation and our specific role in processing
the forensic evidence in this case were key elements that resulted in
Mr. Vick and the three other defendants all pleading guilty to felony
crimes. As such, this organization and I personally have seen the acts
of cruelty committed by Mr. Vick first hand -- acts so heinous that
the public has never laid witness to them. And now that Mr. Vick has
spoken out for the first time since his release from prison, the ASPCA
wants to make clear why this organization chose not to partner with
him in his supposed rehabilitation efforts. We are simply not
convinced that Mr. Vick has demonstrated compassion toward animals as
living beings or the necessary remorse for his criminal actions
against them.

60 Minutes provided a convicted criminal a national platform to
selfishly focus on his own recovery when, in fact, the animals, the
victims who cannot speak for themselves, should have received the
attention. CBS did a grave disservice to the animal welfare community
by failing to show the ugly truth of Mr. Vick's actions and the
horrors of dog fighting and animal cruelty in this country. The
continued attention paid to Mr. Vick is only reinforcing that criminal
behavior does not destroy fame and fortune.
The Eagles, the NFL team that recently signed Vick on their team, is
apparently experiencing some blowback for that decision. In a
grassroots boycott sweeping the internet, animal lovers all over the
country are calling for a boycott of the team and their sponsors. Many
animal lovers are not happy with the easy ride Vick is getting, nor
with Vick?s new PR role as a spokesperson for animal welfare.