[ SHOWGSD-L ] Very strange foot issue

  • From: <jomarigsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSD List" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 20:45:05 -0400

Hi all,
I have a what I think to be a very strange thing happening to one of my dogs
foot.  A few months ago I noticed that one a back foot, one of the toes had
gone from that nice high arch look, to a long look, on one toe only.  The toe
is actually now longer than the others, the nail is about 1/2 inch further out
from the other toes.  I assumed he had broke the toe when I didnt notice and it
maybe healed wrong.  I have not taken him to the vet quite honestly as I
figured short of surgery, their would be no way to correct it.  It did not seem
to bother him, maybe a little.  No swelling at all.  Now tonight, I noticed he
was favoring that back foot and thought he had reinjured it.  Well to my shock,
now the toe NEXT to it appears to be the same way...the toe has gone "flat"
looking.  What on earth could be going on?  This dog is 5 years old, not a
senior.  He does run circles to the left when he's excited and it is the left
back foot, but could running circles cause two toes to break down like that?
Ovbiously we are off to the vet now for an xray.    Has anyone ever had
something like this happen to their dogs?  Im really puzzled along with being
worried.  He's way too young to have joints breaking down?

Joyce